[news.software.anu-news] Can you create newsgroup comp.c++ ??

spain@mdcbbs.com (01/15/90)

Does anyone know how to accept the newsgroup comp.c++ (?).  VMS will not allow
you to create a directory with the character "+" in it...

 | Harrison M. Spain III |    Voice: (714) 952-6114            |
 | McDonnell Douglas M&E | Internet: spain@mdcbbs.com          |
 | 5701 Katella Ave.     |     UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!spain        |
 | Cypress, CA  90630    |      PSI: PSI%31060099980019::SPAIN |

jeh@simpact.com (01/17/90)

In article <651.25b1b667@mdcbbs.com>, spain@mdcbbs.com writes:
> Does anyone know how to accept the newsgroup comp.c++ (?).  VMS will not allow
> you to create a directory with the character "+" in it...

Don't know which version you're running, but News 5.9C is smart
enough to recognize VMS-illegal characters in newsgroup names and `escape'
them.  I tried

	NEWS> create newsgroup comp.c++

and it failed, but only because the CLI parser expected another parameter
after the trailing "+".  This

	NEWS> create newsgroup "comp.c++"

worked.  The directory created was [...COMP.C_K_K].  (And if you're wondering,
an underscore in a newsgroup name becomes two underscores in the directory
name.)  I note with satisfaction that when NEWS receives a checkgroups message
and emits a command procedure (encased in a mail message), the newsgroup names
are enclosed in quotes.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/18/90)

In article <651.25b1b667@mdcbbs.com>, spain@mdcbbs.com writes:
> Does anyone know how to accept the newsgroup comp.c++ (?). VMS will not allow
> you to create a directory with the character "+" in it...

Use:

NEWS> CREATE NEWSGROUP "COMP.C++"

News (or the C library) is smart enough to figure it out.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@CSC.DNET (Geoff Huston) (01/22/90)

>Does anyone know how to accept the newsgroup comp.c++ (?).  VMS will not allow
>you to create a directory with the character "+" in it...

the problem is on DCL parsing:

    NEWS> CREATE NEWSGROUP "comp.lang.c++"

i.e. use "s around the name

Geoff Huston

gih900@CSC.DNET (Geoff Huston) (01/22/90)

>        NEWS> create newsgroup "comp.c++"
>
>worked.  The directory created was [...COMP.C_K_K].  (And if you're wondering,
>an underscore in a newsgroup name becomes two underscores in the directory
>name.)  I note with satisfaction that when NEWS receives a checkgroups message
>and emits a command procedure (encased in a mail message), the newsgroup names
>are enclosed in quotes.
>
>        --- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA

Sometimes I manage to get some of the things right!!!

Geoff Huston