[news.software.anu-news] SKIM and CREATE NEWSGROUPS questions

gerland@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Jim Gerland - Manager, User Support Services) (01/19/90)

background: news 5.9b vms 5.2 win/tcp 5.1 nntp between VAXcluster & Sun

A few more questions:

(1) My news is not creating any news news groups by itself.  Should it?
    I can enter news and type CRE NEWS * /INQUIRE /SERVER=NEWS and it
    will prompt me for each one and on a "y" response, create it.  If
    this cannot be done automatically, how can I build a batch job to
    do this since it requires the "Y" response an unknown number of times?

(2) I have NEWSSKIM run every 4 hours to query the Sun newsserver for new
    articles (should new newsgroups be part of this?).  However, it does
    not update every group with every item.  For example, my Sun has over
    10 articles in rec.guns but my VAXhas only 1 after every SKIM.  If I
    type SET NEWS /SERVER=NEWS at the NEWS> prompt, it updates with every
    article /SINCE=TODAY.  Can someone explain why these are not the same?

Thanks,
Jim...

chuck@mitlns.mit.edu (01/20/90)

-Message-Text-Follows-
In article <29.25b6e3a0@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>, gerland@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Jim Gerland - Manager, User Support Services) writes...
>background: news 5.9b vms 5.2 win/tcp 5.1 nntp between VAXcluster & Sun
>
>A few more questions:
>

>(2) I have NEWSSKIM run every 4 hours to query the Sun newsserver for new
>    articles (should new newsgroups be part of this?).  However, it does
>    not update every group with every item.  For example, my Sun has over
>    10 articles in rec.guns but my VAXhas only 1 after every SKIM.  If I
>    type SET NEWS /SERVER=NEWS at the NEWS> prompt, it updates with every
>    article /SINCE=TODAY.  Can someone explain why these are not the same?

  I can't help but maybe you can help me. What protocol are you using?
I'm trying to use a remote sun server as well over tcpip. SKIM is so
slow as to be useless. I've posted this as a question recently and several
people told me that was also their experience. Are you able to run
successfully? How?!

				Thanks Chuck Parsons
				Chuck@MITLNS.MIT.EDU
				CHUCK@MITLNS.BITNET

gerland@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Jim Gerland - Manager, User Support Services) (01/20/90)

In article <1990Jan19.172043.5885@athena.mit.edu>, chuck@mitlns.mit.edu writes:
> -Message-Text-Follows-
> In article <29.25b6e3a0@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu>, gerland@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Jim Gerland - Manager, User Support Services) writes...
>>background: news 5.9b vms 5.2 win/tcp 5.1 nntp between VAXcluster & Sun
>>
>>A few more questions:
>>

>>(2) I have NEWSSKIM run every 4 hours to query the Sun newsserver for new
>>    articles (should new newsgroups be part of this?).  However, it does
>>
>   I can't help but maybe you can help me. What protocol are you using?
> I'm trying to use a remote sun server as well over tcpip. SKIM is so
> slow as to be useless. I've posted this as a question recently and several
> people told me that was also their experience. Are you able to run
> successfully? How?!

It appears to be except that many groups are not getting updated correctly.
Here is the end of the .LOG:

Job NEWSSKIM (queue STAFFBATCHC, entry 320) holding until 19-JAN-1990 14:45
  NEWSMGR      job terminated at 19-JAN-1990 10:45:04.57

  Accounting information:
  Buffered I/O count:        30456      Peak working set size:  2670
  Direct I/O count:          98010      Peak page file size:    7065
  Page faults:                2639      Mounted volumes:           0
  Charged CPU time:     0 00:09:58.39   Elapsed time:     0 01:35:14.48

Jim...

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/23/90)

 gerland@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (Jim Gerland) writes:
> (1) My news is not creating any news news groups by itself.  Should it?
>     I can enter news and type CRE NEWS * /INQUIRE /SERVER=NEWS and it
>     will prompt me for each one and on a "y" response, create it.  If
>     this cannot be done automatically, how can I build a batch job to
>     do this since it requires the "Y" response an unknown number of times?

Try CRE NEWS */INQUIRE/SERVER=NEWS/NOCONFIRM
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444