[news.software.anu-news] My moderated newsgroups reject new newsitems

spain@mdcbbs.com (01/11/90)

I'm having some problems since I changed the appropriate newsgroups over to
moderated.  My news feed can no longer post newsitems into the group.

I figured that NEWSMANAGER would have the ability to post into a moderated
newsgroup.  I tried adding NEWSMGR (the username used for NEWSSKIM) in as a
member with SUPERVISOR privs but so far no luck.

Any ideas out there? :-)

 | Harrison M. Spain III |    Voice: (714) 952-6114            |
 | McDonnell Douglas M&E | Internet: spain@mdcbbs.com          |
 | 5701 Katella Ave.     |     UUCP: uunet!mdcbbs!spain        |
 | Cypress, CA  90630    |      PSI: PSI%31060099980019::SPAIN |

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/13/90)

In article <645.25ac4b0d@mdcbbs.com>, spain@mdcbbs.com writes:
> I'm having some problems since I changed the appropriate newsgroups over to
> moderated.  My news feed can no longer post newsitems into the group.
>
> I figured that NEWSMANAGER would have the ability to post into a moderated
> newsgroup.  I tried adding NEWSMGR (the username used for NEWSSKIM) in as a
> member with SUPERVISOR privs but so far no luck.

Please, folks, when you are having a problem, please try to include as
much information about the problem as you can.  In this case, I need
to know what version of NEWS you are running, what the specific error
message is when the articles are rejected, and how your news feed is
handled (NNTP or MAIL).  A sample article that was rejected along with
a log of the NEWS run that rejected it would be helpful.
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

spain@mdcbbs.com (01/13/90)

In article <21142.25adb72d@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu>, sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

> Please, folks, when you are having a problem, please try to include as
> much information about the problem as you can.  In this case, I need
> to know what version of NEWS you are running, what the specific error
> message is when the articles are rejected, and how your news feed is
> handled (NNTP or MAIL).  A sample article that was rejected along with
> a log of the NEWS run that rejected it would be helpful.

I suspect that I'm not the only one with this problem so I'll post the
information I just sent to Mark Pizzolato and summarize to the net when this is
resolved (even if it is embarrassing) :-):

Here is a portion of the file I used to create newsgroups and then set them
moderated:

$ set noon
$ news /noscreen
create newsgroup comp.sources.misc /cache/itemhold=14/hold=*
set newsgroup comp.sources.misc /moder=comp-sources-misc@uunet.uu.net
set newsgroup comp.sources.misc /title="Moderated newsgroup - Posting of software"
exit
$ exit

Here is a SHOW NEWSGROUP:

NEWS> show newsgroup comp.sources.misc
comp.sources.misc - Prot:RWX, Hold:(Itm:14,Grp:Perm), #: 13,
Mod-Address:comp-sources-misc@uunet.uu.net
Show Entry: Newsgroup comp.sources.misc

Newsgroup: comp.sources.misc
Title: Posting of software. (Moderated)
Prot:RWX

Created:    9-Jan-90
Retention: Permanent
Note-Retention: 14 days
Count:     13
Moderator: Mail to - comp-sources-misc@uunet.uu.net
Moderator-Approval: Required
Access-File: Membership list follows
Member: newsmgr MODERATE WRITE
Newsgroup is entered in the following Classes:
  $net
NEWS>

Here is a log file that show the newsitems being rejected:

NEWS_RNEWS starting at 12-JAN-1990 05:58:42.65, infile DUB0:[UUCP.RCVDNEWS]NEWS_BATCH.UUNET_S_BH_R2;
File is compressed, decompressing.
	VMS News - V5.9 (09-Jul-1989)      [NewsManager Access Enabled]

Add - Reading file: DUB0:[UUCP.NEWS_MGR]NEWS.BATCH000055B0;1

Add <22063@adm.BRL.MIL> comp.unix.wizards: JUNK (Non-Approved posting to Moderated Newsgroup)
Add <22063@adm.brl.mil> junk
Add <4520@convex.UUCP> comp.windows.x: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <13050.25aa3912@max.u.washington.edu> rec.arts.tv.soaps: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <1690010@teecs.UUCP> comp.sys.hp
Add <10623@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> comp.archives
Add <5660@holston.UUCP> comp.sys.ibm.pc
Add <21750@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> rec.arts.tv
Add <5661@holston.UUCP> news.groups
Add <12074@nis.mn.org> rec.arts.startrek
Add <18116@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> comp.sys.mac.programmer,comp.sys.mac
Add <14064@pwcs.UUCP> rec.arts.tv.soaps: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <10624@stag.math.lsa.umich.edu> comp.archives
Add <1610@meccsd.MECC.MN.ORG> rec.humor
Add <21751@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> rec.arts.tv
Add <10400003@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> comp.dcom.lans
Add <Added.sZfE30G00UkT4UP09D@andrew.cmu.edu> comp.sys.dec.micro: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <6@bootsie.UUCP> comp.sys.mac.programmer
Add <6619@wpi.wpi.edu> rec.humor
Add <7@bootsie.UUCP> comp.sys.mac.programmer
Add <10500016@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> comp.dcom.modems: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <1990Jan11.040733.405@waikato.ac.nz> news.newusers.questions: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <9001120018.AA21940@foobar.Colorado.EDU> comp.windows.x: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <1552@lakesys.lakesys.com> misc.forsale,comp.sys.apple: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <14960308@acf4.NYU.EDU> comp.os.vms
Add <10500017@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu> comp.dcom.modems: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
Add <JIL.90Jan11170459@basselope.mitre.org> comp.object
Add <2564@jato.Jpl.Nasa.Gov> rec.arts.movies
Add <955@excelan.COM> comp.sys.ibm.pc
Add <14286@jumbo.dec.com> comp.windows.news: JUNK (No local Newsgroup match)
  NEWSMGR      job terminated at 12-JAN-1990 06:01:23.01

  Accounting information:
  Buffered I/O count:          936      Peak working set size:  1237
  Direct I/O count:           2528      Peak page file size:    5341
  Page faults:                1790      Mounted volumes:           0
  Charged CPU time:     0 00:00:28.89   Elapsed time:     0 00:02:41.59

Here is my MAILPATHS file:

# MAILPATHS 	 3-Nov-1988
#
#	edited for simpact by jeh, 01-apr-1989
#
# VMS NEWS uses the mailpaths file to determine the address of the moderator
# in the case of locally originated postings to a moderated newsgroup.
#
# The following is an extract of a posting describing the Usenet News 2.11
# mailpaths file. I have annotated the posting to outline the differences
# between this description and VMS NEWS V6.0
#++
#NOTE: Annotations are delimited by the #++ and #-- comment lines.
#--
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# From: spaf@cs.purdue.EDU (Gene Spafford)
# Newsgroups: news.lists,news.admin
# Subject: How to Construct the Mailpaths File (Updated: 15 January 1988)
# Date: 16 Jan 88 06:34:31 GMT
# Expires: 6 Feb 88 06:34:31 GMT
# [Most recent change: 15 January 1988 by spaf@cs.purdue.edu (Gene Spafford)]
#
# News 2.11 has been designed to make it simpler to submit articles to
# moderated newsgroups and to reply via mail to posted articles.  For
# these functions to work, the file "mailpaths" must exist in the news
# library and contain current information.  This file describes the
# syntax of the contents of the file and how to construct it for your site.
#
#++
# NOTE: VMS NEWS does NOT use the mailpaths file for mailing articles - the
# mailpaths file is only used to determine the address of a newsgroup moderator.
#--
#
# Syntax
# ------
# All lines in the file consist of a keyword followed by whitespace,
# followed by a printf-style format string which is used to encode a mail
# address.  The format string should be constructed so that there is a
# single "%s" in the field, and other information necessary to construct
# a valid address to the appropriate site (see below).
#
# The keyword field consists of either the word "internet", the word
# "backbone", or some newsgroup pattern.
#
#++
# The keyword "internet" is not used by VMS NEWS
#--
#
#                                         These are examined by the
# software to determine which format-string to use.  Note that the first
# appropriate line matched is the one used -- thus, the "backbone"
# keyword line should be placed last in the file if regional or local
# moderated groups are supported.
#
# Submissions to moderated groups
# -------------------------------
# When you attempt to post to a moderated newsgroup
# the action of news is to mail the submission to the moderator.
# This is done by searching through "mailpaths" file for a keyword
# matching the newgroup being posted to, or, by default, the keyword
# "backbone".  Matching occurs as in the "sys" file -- thus,
# for example, "news" or "news.all" will match articles posted
# in the "news" category. This feature can be used to support local
# moderated groups.
#
# Once a line has been matched, the name of the moderated group is
# transformed into an address.  This is done by first turning all the
# imbedded periods within the newsgroup name into hyphens (e.g.,
# "news.lists" becomes "news-lists") because many mailers mishandle
# addresses with periods in the username (periods are supposed to be
# delimiters only in the host/domain part of RFC822 addresses, but some
# mailers "overreact").  Next, the transformed group name is encoded into
# an address using the format-string present on the line matched from
# "mailpaths" and the article is mailed.  Thus, a posting to "news.lists"
# from a site with the line
#        backbone        emory!gatech!%s
# in the mailpaths file would have the article mailed to
# "emory!gatech!news-lists".  Likewise, a line like
#         backbone        %s@gatech.edu
# would result in the article being mailed to "news-lists@gatech.edu".
# To make the mechanism for moderated postings simpler, a subset of the
# backbone sites (plus some others) have committed to keeping a complete
# up-to-date set of mail aliases for the moderated groups.  Therefore, to
# build this line in your "mailpaths" file, you need only construct
# an address to get the mail to one of these sites.  In turn, once the
# submission reaches that site, it will be forwarded on to the
# appropriate moderator's mailbox.
#
# The sites currently maintaining these lists are given in the following
# list.  Pick the one that is "closest" to your site and use it in your
# "backbone" format string:
#
#        ames            (ames.arc.nasa.gov)
#        clyde           (clyde.att.com)
#        codas           (codas.att.com)
#        decuac          (decuac.dec.com)
#        decwrl          (decwrl.dec.com)
#        gatech          (gatech.edu)
#        hao             (hao.ucar.edu)
#        husc6           (husc6.harvard.edu)
#        kddlab          (kddlab.kddlabs.jp)
#        killer
#        linus
#        mcnc            (mcnc.org)
#        mit-eddie       (eddie.mit.edu)
#        rutgers         (rutgers.edu)
#        sdcsvax         (sdcsvax.ucsd.edu)
#        tektronix       (tektronix.tek.com)
#        ucbvax          (ucbvax.berkeley.edu)
#        uunet           (uunet.uu.net)
#        uw-beaver       (beaver.cs.washington.edu)
#        watmath         (math.waterloo.edu)
#
#
#Gene Spafford
#Dept. of Computer Sciences, Purdue University, W. Lafayette IN 47907-2004
#Internet:  spaf@cs.purdue.edu   uucp:   ...!{decwrl,gatech,ucbvax}!purdue!spaf
#
# note that this is NOT used for non-moderated lists that are merely gatewayed
# into News, e.g. info-vax/comp.os.vms and (soon) vmsnet%falcon/vmsnet.misc .
# 	--- jeh
#
comp.laser-printers laser-printers@uunet.uu.net
comp.laser-printer laser-printer@uunet.uu.net
rec.humor.funny funny@looking.on.ca
rec.ham-radio.packet packet-radio@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
rec.ham-radio info-hams@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
rec.arts.sf-lovers sf-lovers@rutgers.edu
comp.unix.wizards unix-wizards@brl.arpa
comp.unix.questions info-unix@brl.arpa
comp.sys.sun sun-spots@rice.edu
comp.sys.misc info-micro@wsmr-simtel20.army.mil
comp.sources.unix unix-sources@brl.arpa
comp.sources.misc unix-sources@brl.arpa
comp.protocols.nfs nfs@tmc.edu
comp.lang.c info-c@brl.arpa
comp.emacs unix-emacs@bbn.com
news.announce.newusers announce@stargate.com
vmsnet.announce.newusers vmsnet-announce-newusers@mccall.uucp
vmsnet.announce vmsnet-announce@mccall.uucp
news.lists
news.announce.newusers
news.announce.important
news.announce.conferences
comp.mail.maps
news.lists
news.announce.newusers
news.announce.important
news.announce.conferences
comp.mail.maps
news.lists
news.announce.newusers
news.announce.important
news.announce.conferences
comp.mail.maps
backbone	%s@uunet.uu.net

---

I don't think anyone (local) has tried to post to a moderated newsgroup yet.
If they do, the newsitem is supposed to automatically mail to the moderator
which is what I was trying to setup properly :-).

---

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (01/16/90)

>I'm having some problems since I changed the appropriate newsgroups over to
>moderated.  My news feed can no longer post newsitems into the group.
>
>I figured that NEWSMANAGER would have the ability to post into a moderated
>newsgroup.  I tried adding NEWSMGR (the username used for NEWSSKIM) in as a
>member with SUPERVISOR privs but so far no luck.

There are two possible situations you are referring to:

a) the newsgroup is moderated, and the incoming feed cannot be added into that
newsgroup.

This is somewhat unusual, unless you are unique in think that the particular
newsgroup is moderated, as NEWS will, by default, be expecting an Approved:
header on all incoming news items posted into moderated newsgroups.

The compile-time constant is:

	UNAPPROVED_NEWS

the values this can be defined to be (in NEWSSITE.H) are:

	DISCARD		the default - if not approved then throw it away
	ACCEPT		accept it anyway (not very smart as the sites which
			the local node is feeding may themselvesd discard it
			as the posting is not the real thing without the
			As it is not approved, then the moderator should in
			theory approve it - so mail the item to the moderator
			instead of accepting. This is about the worst option-
			the responsibility of mailing to a newsgroup moderator
			is that of the original posting agent - other sites
			who mail off to the moderator are the cause of junk
			mail.

b) you are the moderator of the newsgroup in question, and you are attempting
to use the ADD command to post Approved: items into NEWS for distribution, in
which case the command ADD FILE/MODERATE is intended to do the job.

cheers,
Geoff Huston

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (01/16/90)

>I'm having some problems since I changed the appropriate newsgroups over to
>moderated.  My news feed can no longer post newsitems into the group.
>
>I figured that NEWSMANAGER would have the ability to post into a moderated
>newsgroup.  I tried adding NEWSMGR (the username used for NEWSSKIM) in as a
>member with SUPERVISOR privs but so far no luck.

There are two possible situations you are referring to:

a) the newsgroup is moderated, and the incoming feed cannot be added into that
newsgroup.

This is somewhat unusual, unless you are unique in think that the particular
newsgroup is moderated, as NEWS will, by default, be expecting an Approved:
header on all incoming news items posted into moderated newsgroups.

The compile-time constant is:

	UNAPPROVED_NEWS

the values this can be defined to be (in NEWSSITE.H) are:

	DISCARD		the default - if not approved then throw it away
	ACCEPT		accept it anyway (not very smart as the sites which
			the local node is feeding may themselvesd discard it
			as the posting is not the real thing without the
			As it is not approved, then the moderator should in
			theory approve it - so mail the item to the moderator
			instead of accepting. This is about the worst option-
			the responsibility of mailing to a newsgroup moderator
			is that of the original posting agent - other sites
			who mail off to the moderator are the cause of junk
			mail.

b) you are the moderator of the newsgroup in question, and you are attempting
to use the ADD command to post Approved: items into NEWS for distribution, in
which case the command ADD FILE/MODERATE is intended to do the job.

cheers,
Geoff Huston

(Postmaster:- This mail may have been duplicated at "murtoa.cs.mu.oz" due to
 link problems.)

spain@mdcbbs.com (01/16/90)

>>I'm having some problems since I changed the appropriate newsgroups over to
>>moderated.  My news feed can no longer post newsitems into the group.

The problem is none of these newsitems have an Approved line.  I am trying to
figure out why these newsitems are making it to me without this :-).

SAURON@kontu.utu.fi (01/17/90)

In article <653.25b2e629@mdcbbs.com>, spain@mdcbbs.com writes:
>>>I'm having some problems since I changed the appropriate newsgroups over to
>>>moderated.  My news feed can no longer post newsitems into the group.
>
> The problem is none of these newsitems have an Approved line.  I am trying to
> figure out why these newsitems are making it to me without this :-).

Somehow I have had THE SAME problem, it occurs with moderated newsgroups,
just like the software would not recognize the approved line at all??
Though I'm very new with NEWS and therefore looking for the error in
my configuration files...?

--
Juhani Soini, the Sauron of Mordor  ! Dept. of Physical Sciences
sauron@mordor.utu.fi                ! University of Turku, Finland

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (01/18/90)

>I suspect that I'm not the only one with this problem so I'll post the
>information I just sent to Mark Pizzolato and summarize to the net when this is
>resolved (even if it is embarrassing) :-):
>
>Here is a portion of the file I used to create newsgroups and then set them
>moderated:
>
>$ set noon
>$ news /noscreen
>create newsgroup comp.sources.misc /cache/itemhold=14/hold=*
>set newsgroup comp.sources.misc /moder=comp-sources-misc@uunet.uu.net
>set newsgroup comp.sources.misc /title="Moderated newsgroup - Posting of
 softwar
>e"
>exit
>$ exit

ok so comp.sources.misc is moderated - no problem.

>Here is a log file that show the newsitems being rejected:

the only one which is rejected as being a posting to a moderated newsgroup is
the line:...

>Add <22063@adm.BRL.MIL> comp.unix.wizards: JUNK (Non-Approved posting to
 Moderated Newsgroup)

BUT on the checkgroups messages that I receive comp.unix.wizards is NOT a
moderated newsgroup - setting it as moderated locally, which you evidently have
done, will cause the rejections you have noted here, as NONE of the postings
into comp.unix.wizards require to have an Approved: header line.

>I don't think anyone (local) has tried to post to a moderated newsgroup yet.
>If they do, the newsitem is supposed to automatically mail to the moderator
>which is what I was trying to setup properly :-).

The log file you have included is not relevant to local postings..
I would check that local postings into moderated newsgroups do get sent to the
moderator (set up a local moderated newsgroup, and test it locally).

If the posting fails, then the most probable problem is a configuration error
in local settings of the NEWS_MANAGER:NEWS_ADDRESS.CNF file.

cheers,

Geoff Huston

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/18/90)

In article <33667.25b3b7da@kontu.utu.fi>, SAURON@kontu.utu.fi writes:

>> The problem is none of these newsitems have an Approved line.  I am trying to
>> figure out why these newsitems are making it to me without this :-).
>>
> Somehow I have had THE SAME problem, it occurs with moderated newsgroups,
> just like the software would not recognize the approved line at all??
> Though I'm very new with NEWS and therefore looking for the error in
> my configuration files...?

The most probable cause for something is that you have a group set as
moderated when it is not actually a moderated group.  You should get a
copy of the monthly (sort of) checkgroups posting and run it through
NEWS to make sure you are current.  It is posted to news.admin by Gene
Spafford.
--

spain@mdcbbs.com (01/21/90)

> The most probable cause for something is that you have a group set as
> moderated when it is not actually a moderated group.  You should get a
> copy of the monthly (sort of) checkgroups posting and run it through
> NEWS to make sure you are current.  It is posted to news.admin by Gene
> Spafford.

This is good advice!  I sent mail to Gene (net.god) Spafford :-) asking for the
"official" list.  Gene gave me the list and pointed me to NEWS.GROUPS which has
this information posted periodically.  I gave up on NEWS.GROUPS a while back
due to the noise but apparently some of that "noise" is *very* important!

I made sure to SET NEWSGROUP * /NOMODER and then CAREFULLY set each moderated
newsgroup properly.  Things are starting to settle down.  If I get a reject to
any of my moderated newsgroup (I check the RNEWS log files regularly now), I
will trace back the newsitem to the orginator.

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (01/23/90)

In article <664.25b89cd2@mdcbbs.com>, spain@mdcbbs.com writes:
> This is good advice!  I sent mail to Gene (net.god) Spafford :-) asking for the
> "official" list.  Gene gave me the list and pointed me to NEWS.GROUPS which has
> this information posted periodically.  I gave up on NEWS.GROUPS a while back
> due to the noise but apparently some of that "noise" is *very* important!

Try reading news.admin instead.  I think the "monthly" checkgroups are
cross posted there, too.

> I made sure to SET NEWSGROUP * /NOMODER and then CAREFULLY set each moderated
> newsgroup properly.  Things are starting to settle down.  If I get a reject to
> any of my moderated newsgroup (I check the RNEWS log files regularly now), I
> will trace back the newsitem to the orginator.

Actually, news should be able to process the checkgroups message
automatically.  Just delete everything before and after the
===cut_here=== lines and do an ADD FILE command on the result. MAKE
SURE YOU KEEP THE DISTRIBUTION LOCAL, or you will probably be flamed
to death. :-)  NEWS should make a command procedure containing the
appropiate NEWS commands to update your local NEWS database to match
whatever the checkgroups says is current.  You should probably check
the command procedure by hand, but that should still be faster than
doing the moderation by hand.