[news.software.anu-news] Getting a detailed list of newsgroups

SYSNET@cc.nu.oz (David Morrison) (12/02/89)

I have just been trying to get a detailed list of all the newsgroups here
(using NEWS 5.8A).  In theory, all I need to do is
	SHOW ENTRY *

But it always paginates the output, even when news is in NOSCREEN mode.  I did
not want to sit there typing return after each newsgroup's display, so I
though that I would do it in a command file, with lots of returns after teh
SHOW ENTRY command.  But the output consists only of the first 8 (?)
characters of each line.

Is there a better way?

(Why I want the list is to find any newsgroups that have been made /LOCAL when
a rmgroup has been received.  I have occasionally forgotten to delete these
groups and thought it was about time I cleaned them up.)
--
David Morrison, Network Manager, Uni of Newcastle, Australia
Try sysnet@cc.nu.oz.au or sysnet@cc.nu.oz  (mail only)

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (12/08/89)

>I have just been trying to get a detailed list of all the newsgroups here
>(using NEWS 5.8A).  In theory, all I need to do is
>        SHOW ENTRY *
>
>But it always paginates the output, even when news is in NOSCREEN mode.  I did
>not want to sit there typing return after each newsgroup's display, so I
>though that I would do it in a command file, with lots of returns after teh
>SHOW ENTRY command.  But the output consists only of the first 8 (?)
>characters of each line.
>
>Is there a better way?
>
>(Why I want the list is to find any newsgroups that have been made /LOCAL when
>a rmgroup has been received.  I have occasionally forgotten to delete these
>groups and thought it was about time I cleaned them up.)

a) run a 5.9 version

b) dir/class=$local

Geoff Huston

sysnet@cc.nu.oz (02/03/90)

A few weeks ago, I wrote:
>>(Why I want the list is to find any newsgroups that have been made /LOCAL when
>>a rmgroup has been received.  I have occasionally forgotten to delete these
>>groups and thought it was about time I cleaned them up.)

Geoff Replied:
> a) run a 5.9 version
>
> b) dir/class=$local

Wonderful.  I have not used classes before.

However, there is now a slight problem.  Previously, DIR/ALL showed all
newsgroups.  Now it does not appear to do anything if issued immediately after
a DIR/CLASS=$LOCAL.  To get the previous behaviour, you have to do DIR/CLASS=*

Is this intentional?
--

A few weeks ago, I wrote:
>>(Why I want the list is to find any newsgroups that have been made /LOCAL when
>>a rmgroup has been received.  I have occasionally forgotten to delete these
>>groups and thought it was about time I cleaned them up.)

Geoff replied:

gih900@CSC1.ANU.OZ.AU (Geoff Huston) (02/07/90)

>However, there is now a slight problem.  Previously, DIR/ALL showed all
>newsgroups.  Now it does not appear to do anything if issued immediately after
>a DIR/CLASS=$LOCAL.  To get the previous behaviour, you have to do DIR/CLASS=*
>
>Is this intentional?

yep - by setting a class of newsgroups, the class remains active until reset to
the * class (the default class).

btw you can also say dir/class=comp.  or dir/class=comp.os.   or any other
newsgroup heirarchy prefix with a trailing "." to select the appropriate group
of newsgroups.

Geoff