[news.software.anu-news] Suggested qualifier to search command

elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be (02/03/90)

In article <942.25c76679@dayton.saic.com>, fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
> 	I would like to make a suggestion for a small addition to ANU-NEWS.
> I would like to see a '/title' qualifier added to the search command which
> would search only the titles of articles for the specified string.  A number
> of times I knew a keyword in the title only to have it take a long time since
> it was searching through the entire text of each article for my 'string'.  If
> I knew 'C' a little better, I would do it myself.  Easy or difficult addition?
>
> --

  Better still : why don't we ask the GREAT MASTER for a 'dir/edit'
command such as in MAIL !
--

  Marc Elsen (System Manager/Software Engineer)
  Katholieke Universiteit Leuven

               EMAIL : elsen@esat.kuleuven.ac.be

                       ...!kulcs!kulesat!elsen (UUCP)
                       elsen%kulesat.uucp@blekul60 (BITNET)
                       psi%02062166012::elsen  (PSI MAIL)

jeh@simpact.com (02/06/90)

In article <942.25c76679@dayton.saic.com>, fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
> 	I would like to make a suggestion for a small addition to ANU-NEWS.
> I would like to see a '/title' qualifier added to the search command which
> would search only the titles of articles for the specified string.  ...

In 5.9C you can do a READ/SUBJECT=string and get the effect you want.
The `string' is matched anywhere within the subject line.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/08/90)

In article <908.25cde34b@simpact.com>, jeh@simpact.com writes:
> In article <942.25c76679@dayton.saic.com>, fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) writes:
>> 	I would like to make a suggestion for a small addition to ANU-NEWS.
>> I would like to see a '/title' qualifier added to the search command which
>> would search only the titles of articles for the specified string.  ...
>
> In 5.9C you can do a READ/SUBJECT=string and get the effect you want.
> The `string' is matched anywhere within the subject line.

Thanks Jamie!  That must be one of those undocumented commands.  I am running
5.9C and it does not appear in the help library.

Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2