[news.software.anu-news] NEWSRC not getting saved when exiting properly?

tlimonce@drunivac.drew.edu (02/09/90)

Has anyone else noticed this bug:

There are no new messages (I just read them all) and I exit news.
I backup my newsrc with $ copy/log newsrc. newsrc.bak

Now I re-enter news and all those messages are new again!

Other users have reported problems with their newsrc. not "working".
Is it just us or what?

I'm running NEWS 5.9C and VMS 5.2

-Tom
P.S.  I think news would be one step more reliable if it's didn't
delete the old NEWSRC. files.  How about having it opening the file
with version_limit=2 ?

---
Tom Limoncelli             If you're wondering what I look like,
tlimonce@drew.edu (new)    there may be a picture of me in USA Today
tlimonce@drew.Bitnet       on Tuesday, Feb 13 (front page or
limonce@pilot.njin.net     educational section)   ...I hope!

glassmann@ccavax.camb.com (02/10/90)

In article <36242.25d1fd83@drunivac.drew.edu>, tlimonce@drunivac.drew.edu writes:

> There are no new messages (I just read them all) and I exit news.
>
> Now I re-enter news and all those messages are new again!
>
> Other users have reported problems with their newsrc. not "working".
> Is it just us or what?

We've had a similar problem, but only with certain groups.  I have one user
who always sees the groups ny.* and ne.* as unread.  I had the same problem
when I had NEWREGISTER=* in my profile.  When I got rid of that, the problem
went away.  However, this other user does not have NEWREGISTER turned on.  I
never investigated any further than that.