[news.software.anu-news] Recycling Messages and re-distributing problem.

asleeman@waikato.ac.nz (02/15/90)

Hi again.

Further too my problem with the NEWS.DISTRIBUTION file appearing to be
ignored.

Does ANU-NEWS convert news message id's to lowercase. The site which is
currently feeding me news is complaining that he is getting articles
doubling up with those being sent back by our ANU-NEWS system having
the ID's converted to lowercase. Is anyone else seeing this happen?
Have I missed a patch?

Thanks
Andrew Sleeman
asleeman@waikato.ac.nz

mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz (Mark Davies) (02/15/90)

In article <146.25daf752@waikato.ac.nz> asleeman@waikato.ac.nz writes:
>Does ANU-NEWS convert news message id's to lowercase. The site which is
>currently feeding me news is complaining that he is getting articles
>doubling up with those being sent back by our ANU-NEWS system having
>the ID's converted to lowercase. Is anyone else seeing this happen?
>Have I missed a patch?

>Thanks
>Andrew Sleeman
>asleeman@waikato.ac.nz

Andrew's system "virtue" was the VMS site I referred to in my previous
posting <1990Feb14.010521.23324@kaukau.comp.vuw.ac.nz>, and it does appear
that the duplicates we get are caused by the message-id's used in the IHAVE
exchange being lowercased (ie. all the duplicates we received had
Message-ID's with uppercase letters in the local part of the ID).  So does
ANU-News do this? If so why?

Message ID's are supposed to be governed by rfc822.  The domain part after
the @ is case insensitive but the local part IS case sensitive (with a few
special case exceptions).

cheers
mark
--
 mark@comp.vuw.ac.nz    |
 ...!uunet!vuwcomp!mark |				DEV_BSIZE forever!