[news.software.anu-news] anu-news distribution?

doug@fryeten (02/14/90)

Some questions for discussion about distribution....

If the entire distribution of anu news were vmsshared how many files would it
involve at the default size?

Is it completely unreasonable to post major releases to this news group and
then post patches for minor releases?  I've seen patches but they don't do
me any good until I get up to the correct version to patch.

If there is a large number of sections couldn't their distribution be spread
over a number of days to reduce the amount of load?

How many people are like me in a situation with no FTP and would benefit from
such a distribution?

Is what I'm suggesting extremely less efficient and more costly on the
whole than FTP and if so could someone explain briefly how FTP distribution
works in general?

Are there other alternatives to VMS uucp sites or are we such a rare breed
that there is little interest?

I'm still sitting  at version 5.4 and would love to get up to date but with no
FTP it seems nearly impossible.  I have given in and sent DECUS $130.00 for the
Spring 89 SIG tape because I need a later version of UUCP as well, but that
only brings me up to version 5.8.  If I want 5.9c I have to send another
$130.00 for the Fall SIG tape which has anu-news but no uucp.  Sorry for
seeming cheap but if there are cheaper alternatives I'd like to find them.

Doug White
doug@fryepro.UUCP

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (02/16/90)

In article <1769@fryeten>, doug@fryeten writes:
> Some questions for discussion about distribution....
>
> I'm still sitting  at version 5.4 and would love to get up to date but with no
> FTP it seems nearly impossible.  I have given in and sent DECUS $130.00 for the
> Spring 89 SIG tape because I need a later version of UUCP as well, but that
> only brings me up to version 5.8.  If I want 5.9c I have to send another
> $130.00 for the Fall SIG tape which has anu-news but no uucp.  Sorry for
> seeming cheap but if there are cheaper alternatives I'd like to find them.

Doug,

	Get involved with your local DECUS LUG if there is one.  You can get
the SIG tapes through them usually for FREE.

Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2%dayton.saic.com@uunet.uu.net    uucp: uunet!dayvb!fac2