Date: Tue, 13 Feb 90 13:26:19 CST
From: <cs.utexas.edu!memqa!qfhca81%ames.UUCP@ucsd.edu>
To: crash.cts.com!jeh@cs.utexas.edu
Subject: NEWS 5.8 problem

I am in the early stages of bringing up DECUS UUCP 1.1 and ANU NEWS 5.8.
Everything seems to work, except that I am having a problem POSTing news.

The symptoms I am experiencing are:

I can POST to local newsgroups fine, but when I try to Post to a sci. group,
for example, I get the message:
Error: Post - (sci.physics) Cannot add to Newsitem index file (B00184EC)

In mucking around in the source, it _looks_ like I didn't do the install
properly to give NEWS.EXE the necessary SYSPRV, but I re-did the install and
that didn't help.  I even get the error message when trying to POST from the
SYSTEM account.

I have re-checked the ownership and protections on the various files, but
I am not having any luck spotting the problem.

Any suggestions?

Henry Melton
cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!hutto!henry
or
cs.utexas.edu!puzzle!memqa!qfhca81

tp@mccall.uucp (02/14/90)

> I can POST to local newsgroups fine, but when I try to Post to a sci. group,
> for example, I get the message:
> Error: Post - (sci.physics) Cannot add to Newsitem index file (B00184EC)

I had a similar problem in v5.7. I don't know if the error code was the
same or not. Also, all incoming news (i.e. Add Batch commands) generated a
REJECT message for almost every article. It actually degraded slowly,
starting in one group and sporadically spreading. About 3/4 of my groups
were not accepting news by the time I noticed it. (It just happened that
the groups I read most were hit last, or maybe that is significant).

Anyway, the only solution that worked for me was to delete the news.items
file and rebuild it. Unfortunately, doing this takes 36-48 hours of real
(wall clock) time or more, depending on how much news you have, and all
articles look new (i.e. the will all show up as unread).

Someone posted a program that would do this quicker, but as luck would have
it, that is one of the articles that was rejected!

Anyway, if you want to do this (Friday afternoon, preferably before a 3 day
weekend!), the operative command is:

NEWS> add file/delete news_device:[*...]*.itm

I don't recall doing anything other than just deleting news.items and doing
the above command, but you might look in the installation instructions in
the section on running news for the first time to see if there is any other
preparation to do.

If you need to rebuild news.groups as well (I didn't), I suppose you could
delete it and add the /cregrp qualifier to the above command. Beware that
it will create some bogus groups because of cross-posting, but those can
always be deleted later.

Hopefully, you won't have to resort to this, but it did solve my problem. I
have no idea what the actual cause is/was.
--
Terry Poot (800)255-2762, in Kansas (913)776-4041
The McCall Pattern Company, 615 McCall Rd., Manhattan, KS 66502, USA

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (02/17/90)

In article <938.25d8183f@simpact.com>, jeh@simpact.com writes:
> I'm posting the following on behalf of a new DECUS uucp user.
..
> I can POST to local newsgroups fine, but when I try to Post to a sci. group,
> for example, I get the message:
> Error: Post - (sci.physics) Cannot add to Newsitem index file (B00184EC)

It sounds as if either you NEWS.GROUPS or NEWS.ITEMS files is
corrupted. If I were you, I would start over by deleting the
NEWS.GROUPS and NEWS.ITEMS files and re-doing the installation. You
would be well advised to to this soon, as the larger you news database
grows, the harder it will be to reconstruct.  You can add in the
current articles that you already have (after deleting NEWS.GROUPS and
NEWS.ITEMS) by doing:

NEWS> ADD FILE/RETRY/DELETE NEWS_DEVICE:[*...]*.ITM;*

If you have a lot of articles already in the NEWS database, this will
take a LONG time to run.  If you are an RMS INDEXED FILE expert, you
might try to recover the files using ANALYZE/RMS and CONVERT.  I have
had mixed success doing things like this, but then I don't know much
about RMS or INDEXED files. :-)
--
USmail: Bob Sloane, University of Kansas Computer Center, Lawrence, KS, 66045
E-mail: sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu, sloane@ukanvax.bitnet, AT&T: (913)864-0444

gih900@UUNET.UU.NET (Geoff Huston) (02/18/90)

>I'm posting the following on behalf of a new DECUS uucp user.
>I note that 184EC is an RMS code for ~"can't add record, duplicate key,
>DUP not set" (the last bit meaning that duplicate key values aren't allowed).
>Any ideas?
>
>        --- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
>
>I can POST to local newsgroups fine, but when I try to Post to a sci. group,
>for example, I get the message:
>Error: Post - (sci.physics) Cannot add to Newsitem index file (B00184EC)
>
>Any suggestions?

This was a 5.8 bug. If the news.group file "lost sync" with the news.item
file, then the put would fail for certain newsgroups.

The fix is in the do_new_item code in V5.9.  The bug was reported and fixed in
May / June 1989.

Geoff