[news.software.anu-news] SKIP behavior vs. DEREGISTER behavior. Inconsistent.

brodie@fps.mcw.edu (02/27/90)

A behavior question...   (V5.9C).

When "deregister"-ing from a newsgroup, the newsgroup
"pointer" moves up one group (which is what I would expect)

i.e.,
      newsg1                       newsg1
      newsg2                  -->  newsg2
 -->  newsg3                       newsg4
      newsg4                       newsg5

(above shows result of "deregister"ing from newsgroup 3.

However, when I "skip" (mark as read) a newsgroup, the pointer always
gets reset to the FIRST newsgroup on the list, which can be somewhat
annoying  (for many reasons, I may not want to read the first few
groups NOW..), which means every time I mark a group as read, I then
have to scroll down AGAIN to the next group I want to read.

WHy is the behavior of these two inconsistent?   I'd really like to
see the behavior of "skip" behave like "deregister".  ANy comments?
Geoff?

Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@fps.mcw.edu
Medical College of Wisconsin	     voice:	+1 414 778 4500
				     FAX:       +1 414 778 6694

"My dear, killing you would be like killing the Easter Bunny."
  -Mr. Kincaid (the "hunter") spoken to Mary Ann ; _Gilligan's Island_

sdroppers@pbs.uucp (Seton Droppers) (03/01/90)

In article <3388.25ea558f@fps.mcw.edu>, brodie@fps.mcw.edu writes:
> A behavior question...   (V5.9C).
>
> When "deregister"-ing from a newsgroup, the newsgroup
> "pointer" moves up one group (which is what I would expect)
>
> i.e.,
>       newsg1                       newsg1
>       newsg2                  -->  newsg2
>  -->  newsg3                       newsg4
>       newsg4                       newsg5
>
> (above shows result of "deregister"ing from newsgroup 3.
>

> However, when I "skip" (mark as read) a newsgroup, the pointer always
> gets reset to the FIRST newsgroup on the list, which can be somewhat
> annoying  (for many reasons, I may not want to read the first few
> groups NOW..), which means every time I mark a group as read, I then
> have to scroll down AGAIN to the next group I want to read.
>
> WHy is the behavior of these two inconsistent?   I'd really like to
> see the behavior of "skip" behave like "deregister".  ANy comments?
> Geoff?

> Kent C. Brodie - Systems Manager		brodie@fps.mcw.edu
> Medical College of Wisconsin	     voice:	+1 414 778 4500
> 				     FAX:       +1 414 778 6694
>
> "My dear, killing you would be like killing the Easter Bunny."
>   -Mr. Kincaid (the "hunter") spoken to Mary Ann ; _Gilligan's Island_

I too would like to see the behavior of the SKIP command change.
--
Seton Droppers  -- "Anything that I say is my opinion and not my employer's."
Public Broadcasting Service, 1320 Braddock Pl. Alexandria, VA 22314