[news.software.anu-news] :-| Is this a feature? |-:

ccc_simon@waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) (03/02/90)

Ok, so I turn SYSPRV on because I tour around the system fixing users
accounts up.  I go into news and it turns SYSPRV off.  In fact, by the
looks of it, it sets my privileges back to my login prics.  So now when
I do a post, news uses my current directory as the scratch directory,
tries to write a file but can't BEACAUSE SOMEONE'S TURNED MY PRIV OFF,
so news crashes!  Now I have to go through the whole lot again!
Then some sod phones me, so I spawn.  He says XXX has happened, can
you fix it?  No problems!  I try, but because my privilege is turned
off in the base process, I can't set it in the spawned child process.
The first time, the above just slacked me off.  Now, at about the 20th
time, I'm a tad more than that!

----------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
 -Simon P Travaglia-  | spt@truth.waikato.ac.nz, (NZ-PSI) 71000004::CCC_SPT  +
University of Waikato | internet# 130.217.64.3 {truth}, 130.217.64.32 {grace}+
Hamilton, New Zealand | Request: Send me your games, I need them to survive  +
----------------------+-------------------------------------------------------
A gleekzorp without a tornpee is like a quop without a fertsneet (sort of).

mats@rigel.efd.lth.se (Mats Akerberg) (03/02/90)

In article <200.25ee3c8f@waikato.ac.nz>, ccc_simon@waikato.ac.nz (Simon Travaglia) writes:

>Ok, so I turn SYSPRV on because I tour around the system fixing users
>accounts up.  I go into news and it turns SYSPRV off.  In fact, by the
>looks of it, it sets my privileges back to my login prics.  So now when
>I do a post, news uses my current directory as the scratch directory,
>tries to write a file but can't BEACAUSE SOMEONE'S TURNED MY PRIV OFF,
>so news crashes!  Now I have to go through the whole lot again!
>Then some sod phones me, so I spawn.  He says XXX has happened, can
>you fix it?  No problems!  I try, but because my privilege is turned
>off in the base process, I can't set it in the spawned child process.
>The first time, the above just slacked me off.  Now, at about the 20th
>time, I'm a tad more than that!

A quick workaround should be:
Write a file call it fex NEWS.COM define the name NEWS to =="@sys$LOGIN:NEWS"
Put the file News.com in SYS$LOGIN:
$! News.com
$ SET DEF SYS$LOGIN:
$ DEFINE /USER SYS$INPUT 'F$TRNLNM("SYS$OUTPUT")'
$ RUN ANU_NEWS
$ exit

This is just a workaround, you can hack the code in News to fix
it to but....

                        Mats
____
        Mats Akerberg              (mats@efd.lth.se) on INTERNET
       System Manager              (MATS@SELDC52) on Earn/Bitnet

   Lund Institute of Technology
   School of Electrical Engineering  and  Computer Sciences
   Postal address (real): Box 118  S-221 00 Lund Sweden
   Phone: + 46 46-109847         FAX: + 46 46-129948