[news.software.anu-news] Help setting up ANU NEWS access via DECNET!

"May we be forgiving of our faults and tolerant of our differences."<SEAN@CLARKU.BITNET> (06/16/91)

        Help!  I have been trying to set up NEWS for some time with
        no success.  I was using NEWS for a while as a diskless
        client, reading NEWS off a remote site via TCP (we use
        DEC's UCX V1.3).  Everything worked fine.  However, I need
        to stop using the remote site's disks to read news, so I
        have to set up a local NEWS database on one of our nodes
        and then read NEWS via DECNET from our other nodes.

        The problem is that I am getting two distinct error messages
        which I have included below.  I have supplied in this message
        as much information as I could think of;  please let me know
        directly if there is anything else you need to know.

        Since my problem may be very specific, please send me mail
        directly.  I will sumarize for everyone once I have resolved
        the problem.  In advance, thanks for any help!

                                                        Sean.

        P.S.
                I compiled NEWS using UCXSOCKETS.  NNTP_XFER
        and NNTP_XMIT work fine, so I can set up the local
        NEWS database fine.  The problem is that I cannot
        access NEWS over DECNET from the other nodes.

Network configuration:
---------------------

                                +--------------+
                                | NIC.NEAR.NET |
                                +--------------+
                                        /
                                     /\/  56Kb leased line
                                    /
                                +--------+
                                | Cisco  |
                                | router |
                                +--------+

                                     |              EtherNET        \
        --------+---------------+----+----------+---------------+----
        \       |               |               |               |
                |               |               |               |
             +-----+          +----+         +-----+          +----+
             |KUKLA|          |FRAN|         |OLLIE|          |JACK|
             +-----+          +----+         +-----+          +----+

        JACK will maintain the NEWS database (i.e., this is the node
        that will execute NNTP_XFER nightly to retrieve NEWS items
        from NIC.NEAR.NET).

        KUKLA, FRAN & OLLIE will read NEWS over DECNET

With NNTP as object 0 on both OLLIE & JACK:

   *** NOTE:  I have tried defining NNTP as object 197 as indicated in ***
   ***   the included document NEWS_DEVICE:[NEWS_DOC]NNTP_DECNET.TXT.  ***
   ***                     I get the same results.                     ***

OLLIE's Object Volatile Summary as of 15-JUN-1991 19:43:43

   Object   Number  File/PID                   User Id          Password

  NNTP           0  NEWS_MANAGER:NNTP_DEC.EXE  NNTP$SERVER

JACK's Object Volatile Summary as of 15-JUN-1991 20:37:00

   Object   Number  File/PID                   User Id          Password

  NNTP           0  NEWS_MANAGER:NNTP_DEC.EXE  NNTP$SERVER

$ nntp_client
Node: jack
Channel (DECNET, UCXtcp)? [DECNET]:
Decnet NNTP Objects are commonly of the form:
        TASK=NNTP       used by most VMS NNTP server implementations
        NNTP=           used by Ultrix NNTP servers
        NEWS=           used by some VMS NNTP server implementations
Decnet Object string? [TASK=NNTP] :
Use DECnet stream input calls (normally only with Ultrix NNTP server)? [N]:
%SYSTEM-F-LINKEXIT, network partner exited

        DECNET (NCP) gurus:  I have not seen ANY NCP error messages
                             at all.  I have seen no timeouts or
                             circuit/line problems at any time.

$ nntp_client
Node: jack
Channel (DECNET, UCXtcp)? [DECNET]:
Decnet NNTP Objects are commonly of the form:
        TASK=NNTP       used by most VMS NNTP server implementations
        NNTP=           used by Ultrix NNTP servers
        NEWS=           used by some VMS NNTP server implementations
Decnet Object string? [TASK=NNTP] :
Use DECnet stream input calls (normally only with Ultrix NNTP server)? [N]:
recv: non-translatable vms error code: 0x13C, vms message:
%system-f-ivchan, invalid i/o channel

       *** NOTE:  I get the same error messages if I try to connect ***
    *** from OLLIE to JACK than if I try to connect from JACK to JACK ***

OLLIE's NEWS logical names:
---------------------

(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

  "NEWS_MANAGER" = "LOLA$DUA11:[APPL0.NEWS.NEWSMGR]"

JACK's NEWS logical names:
--------------------

(LNM$SYSTEM_TABLE)

  "NEWSMAIL" = "NEWSMGR"
  "NEWS_ADDRESS" = "JACK.CLARKU.EDU"
  "NEWS_DEVICE" = "LOLA$DUA11:[APPL0.NEWS.]"
  "NEWS_GMT_OFFSET" = "-5"
  "NEWS_HELPLIB" = "NEWS_ROOT:NEWS.HLB"
  "NEWS_MANAGER" = "LOLA$DUA11:[APPL0.NEWS.NEWSMGR]"
  "NEWS_MANAGER_DEV" = "NEWS_DEVICE:[NEWSMGR.]"
  "NEWS_MGR_ID" = "NEWSMGR_ID"
  "NEWS_NNTP_LOG" = "NEWS_MANAGER:NNTP_SERVER.LOG"
  "NEWS_NNTP_PROTOCOL" = "UCX"
  "NEWS_NNTP_SERVER" = "NIC.NEAR.NET"
  "NEWS_NODE" = "JACK"
  "NEWS_ORGANISATION" = "Clark University"
  "NEWS_ROOT" = "LOLA$DUA11:[APPL0.NEWS]"
  "NEWS_TIMEZONE" = "EST"
  "NNTP_DISK" = "LOLA$DUA11:"
  "NNTP_DISK_DANGER" = "50000"
  "NNTP_SCRATCH" = "NEWS_DEVICE:[NNTP_SCRATCH]"
  "RNEWS" = "NEWSMGR"
  "USENET" = "NEWSMGR"

NNTP$SERVER account:
-------------------

Username: NNTP$SERVER                      Owner:  NNTP$SERVER default
Account:  DECNET                           UIC:    [376,377] ([NNTP$SERVER])
CLI:      DCL                              Tables:
Default:  NEWS_ROOT:[NNTP$SERVER]
LGICMD:   NL:
Flags:  DisCtlY DefCLI
Primary days:   Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun
Secondary days:
Primary   000000000011111111112222  Secondary 000000000011111111112222
Day Hours 012345678901234567890123  Day Hours 012345678901234567890123
Network:  ##### Full access ######            ##### Full access ######
Batch:    ##### Full access ######            ##### Full access ######
Dialup:   -----  No access  ------            -----  No access  ------
Remote:   -----  No access  ------            -----  No access  ------
Expiration:            (none)    Pwdminimum:  6   Login Fails:     0
Pwdlifetime:           (none)    Pwdchange:   7-JUN-1991 01:26
Last Login:            (none) (interactive), 13-JUN-1991 10:33 (non-interactive)
Maxjobs:         3  Fillm:       100  Bytlm:        10000
Maxacctjobs:     0  Shrfillm:      0  Pbytlm:           0
Maxdetach:       1  BIOlm:        18  JTquota:       1536
Prclm:           2  DIOlm:        18  WSdef:          512
Prio:            4  ASTlm:        24  WSquo:         1024
Queprio:         0  TQElm:        10  WSextent:      1536
CPU:        (none)  Enqlm:       100  Pgflquo:      20000
Authorized Privileges:
  TMPMBX EXQUOTA NETMBX SYSPRV
Default Privileges:
  TMPMBX EXQUOTA NETMBX SYSPRV
Identifier                         Value           Attributes
  NEWSMGR_ID                       %X800100C0

ake@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (06/18/91)

In article <EE3E129B20406735@vax.clarku.edu>, SEAN@CLARKU.BITNET (May we be forgiving of our faults and tolerant of our differences.) writes:

> OLLIE's Object Volatile Summary as of 15-JUN-1991 19:43:43
>
>    Object   Number  File/PID                   User Id          Password
>
>   NNTP           0  NEWS_MANAGER:NNTP_DEC.EXE  NNTP$SERVER
>

> JACK's Object Volatile Summary as of 15-JUN-1991 20:37:00
>
>    Object   Number  File/PID                   User Id          Password
>
>   NNTP           0  NEWS_MANAGER:NNTP_DEC.EXE  NNTP$SERVER
>
> $ nntp_client
> Node: jack
> Channel (DECNET, UCXtcp)? [DECNET]:
> Decnet NNTP Objects are commonly of the form:
>         TASK=NNTP       used by most VMS NNTP server implementations
>         NNTP=           used by Ultrix NNTP servers
>         NEWS=           used by some VMS NNTP server implementations
> Decnet Object string? [TASK=NNTP] :
> Use DECnet stream input calls (normally only with Ultrix NNTP server)? [N]:
> %SYSTEM-F-LINKEXIT, network partner exited
>
>         DECNET (NCP) gurus:  I have not seen ANY NCP error messages
>                              at all.  I have seen no timeouts or
>                              circuit/line problems at any time.

	If in fact nntp$server is getting logged in, then there should be
a netserver.log file in the NEWS_ROOT:[NNTP$SERVER] directory.  Check that to
see what might be happening.  I have the NNTP_DEC.EXE installed as:

$ install
add news_root:nntp_dec/priv=(sysprv,syslck)
exit

	I have a version working just fine.

-Earle
             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: ake@dayton.saic.com        uucp: dayvb!ake         SPAN: 28284::ake

cctr127@csc.canterbury.ac.nz (Jason Haar, NEWS Manager) (06/18/91)

In article <EE3E129B20406735@vax.clarku.edu>, "May we be forgiving of our faults and tolerant of our differences."<SEAN@CLARKU.BITNET> writes:
>         Help!  I have been trying to set up NEWS for some time with
>         no success.  I was using NEWS for a while as a diskless
>         client, reading NEWS off a remote site via TCP (we use
>         DEC's UCX V1.3).  Everything worked fine.  However, I need
>         to stop using the remote site's disks to read news, so I
>         have to set up a local NEWS database on one of our nodes
>         and then read NEWS via DECNET from our other nodes.
>

> NNTP$SERVER account:
> -------------------
>
> Username: NNTP$SERVER                      Owner:  NNTP$SERVER default
> Account:  DECNET                           UIC:    [376,377] ([NNTP$SERVER])
> CLI:      DCL                              Tables:
> Default:  NEWS_ROOT:[NNTP$SERVER]
> LGICMD:   NL:
> Flags:  DisCtlY DefCLI

Where is NNTP_DEC.EXE run?? I think you'll find that NNTP_DEC.EXE needs to be
put in the NNTP$SERVER account, and a LOGIN.COM created that runs it. You'll
then need to change the LGICMD line under AUTHORIZE to LOGIN

Hope that helps

Jason Haar. Network Consultant, CSC, University of Canterbury, Christchurch,
New Zealand. Email j.haar@csc.canterbury.ac.nz Ph: 64 3 642336 Fax: 64 3 642999