[alt.religion.computers] This is Bad

nate@hobbes.intel.com (Nate Hess) (08/16/89)

In article <10089@csli.Stanford.EDU>, ceb@csli (Charles Buckley) writes:

[discussion of getting out of i-search.]

>What's more, if you change your search exit character (viz. for Gnu)

>(setq search-exit-char ?\C-j)      ;C-j = line feed

>you can end i-search with an escape-prefixed-command.  Don't go
>tarring emacs with vi-mode-itis.  It's got the cleanest way of making
>mode transitions I've ever seen, and far fewer modes.  I couldn't
>believe one had to pass into a mode simply to *insert characters* when
>I first used vi after years of emacsing.

Indeed, it makes much more sense to exit out of a search, than to have
to enter and exit insert mode.

>Considerations of image size aside, in my opinion, the only reason
>there are still vi users around is to give "the guys" something to
>carry on about at lunchtime.

If everyone used Emacs, what would there be left to debate in
alt.religion.computers?!  I'd love to create some kind of an editor
benchmark, in which some fairly large, reasonably complex editing task
has to be performed in the Editor Of Your Choice.  I think that GNU
Emacs would win such a benchmark with no problem.

--woodstock
--
	   "What I like is when you're looking and thinking and looking
	   and thinking...and suddenly you wake up."   - Hobbes

woodstock@hobbes.intel.com   ...!{decwrl|hplabs!oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!nate