[alt.religion.computers] drawtree for Unix/Sun/curses?

6600pete@hub.UUCP (12/07/89)

From article <11976@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, by subbarao@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kartik Saligrama Subbarao):
> In article <5250@abaa.UUCP> korsberg@abaa.UUCP (Ed Korsberg) writes:
>>Does anyone know of a "drawtree" program for Unix?  This is a program
>>that displays the directory tree structure.  A good example of this
>>is the ncd program in the Norton Utilties for MS-DOS.
>     Here is a question I have been wanting to ask for a long time but
>  always forgot to. WHY doesn't someone make a whole NORTON UTILITES
>  for UNIX? I mean, it is SO easy to unerase files in MS-DOS. If UNIX
>  is a superior operating system, why hasn't someone come up with a
>  qu command to unerase files, an ncd to change directories and some of
>  the other goodies we get with the Norton Utilities 4.5 Advanced
>  Edition?

Heh. The fact that you can unerase DOS files means that DOS doesn't erase them
very well. Unerasure of files is not a feature, it's a bug. Were it a feature,
IBM or Microsoft would have put unerasure in the OS. They haven't. Given
this perspective, is unerasure under UNIX a good thing? No. Just do

    alias rm rm -r

and hope for the best.

The reason we don't have an ncd for UNIX is that an ncd process could change
its own default directory, but not that of its caller. I think you're right
about the directory tree lister, though.
Hire this kid  : Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills