[alt.religion.computers] asdf

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/07/89)

In article <1913@texsun.Central.Sun.Com>, someone whose name I just
accidentally deleted says:

> Peter isn't wrong about Stallman beliving that all software should
> be free.  Peter (correct me if wrong, Peter) is only upset that
> RMS (and others) want to remove the profit from restricting the
> use of software.

Actually, Peter makes the following incorrect leap of faith:

"Because RMS believes selling software is evil, he leads a movement to
make selling software illegal."

This leap of faith is incorrect without proof; it's the same thing
as assuming that I want to outlaw meat consumption because I'm
a vegatarian. After all, I believe that eating meat is unethical...

No, the reality is that I live my life not eating meat, and I don't
care what you do. Stallman lives his life writing and giving away
software which is militantly free. I don't see him running out
demanding that software copyrights be abolished. Rather, I've seen
him proposing some rather sane changes to copyright laws. You could
still sell software for money and keep the source secret after
these changes. And you might see me proposing laws that would
require factory farming be more humane.

Now, just as the earlier postings resulted in some inane economic
discussions, I expect a flood of postings and mail accusing me
of being a communist, or perhaps being out to put the American
Cattle Rancher out of business... ;-) But it's too late, this
vegetarian is out of the closet.

Followups for this entire discussion to your-favorite-graphical-
waste-receptical,-which-better-not-be-a-trashcan-or-Apple-will-sue-
you-for-violating-a-copyright-concerning-look-and-feel-of-something-
that-Xerox-invented.

------
Greg Lindahl

jthomp@texsun.Central.Sun.COM (Jim Thompson) (12/17/89)

In article <1989Dec7.075641.13191@news.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>In article <1913@texsun.Central.Sun.Com>, someone whose name I just
>accidentally deleted says:

Was me.

>Followups for this entire discussion to your-favorite-graphical-
>waste-receptical,-which-better-not-be-a-trashcan-or-Apple-will-sue-
>you-for-violating-a-copyright-concerning-look-and-feel-of-something-
>that-Xerox-invented.

Which has to be one of my favorite things about OpenLook (from SMI, anyway.)
the little 'graphical-waste-receptical' is labeled 'Wastebasket'.
Sure enough, if you throw things in it, a little bit of paper pops out
of the top.  (Like the trashcan is full, I guess.)  Since Sun can *prove*
that its windowing technology is independant of Apple and others, this is
almost a slap in the face of look-n-feel suits.

More religion..

Jim
Jim Thompson - Network Engineering - Sun Microsystems -	jthomp@central.sun.com
Member of the Fatalistic International Society for Hedonistic Youth (FISHY)
"Unemployment is the solution, not the problem."  -- B.I.R.D.