[alt.religion.computers] Because you think I misrepresent RMS, it's OK to misrepresent me?

I didn't say:
> "Because RMS believes selling software is evil, he leads a movement to
> make selling software illegal."

Well...

(a) That's his stated goal. (b) That's the implied goal in section 2b of the
GNU public license.

I'm saying "RMS is leading a movement that is attempting to make people
unwittingly lose their intellectual property rights, because he believes that
restricting the use of software to people who have paid for it is evil."

> Rather, I've seen
> him proposing some rather sane changes to copyright laws. You could
> still sell software for money and keep the source secret after
> these changes.

Isn't that at odds with the GPL?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) (12/14/89)

In article <4754@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>I'm saying "RMS is leading a movement that is attempting to make people
>unwittingly lose their intellectual property rights, because he believes that
>restricting the use of software to people who have paid for it is evil."

The only right they loose is they cannot sell gnu code for their own
profit.

For anything other than the "GNU library" and "bison" issue:
    I fail to see how someone could unwittingly do this unless they
    havn't a clue.  Would you just snarf up code from ANY source with a
    copyright without at LEAST reading the copyright yourself.  You
    don't need a lawyer to figure it out.

If you ONLY mean "GNU library" and "bison" then:
    I agree that it is more possible that one could "unwittingly" use gnu code
    in this case although for me it still isn't an issue.  You would have to
    be pretty careless.

    Would you be happy if it were more obvious that you cannot use this
	code without falling under the GNU copyright?   Or does it really
	strike deeper than that?
    Would you be happy if these items were removed from the copyright realm?

-- sanders
I love to hack, to hack, to hack . . .

" Maynard) (12/14/89)

[I don't get gnu.* here...]

In article <3084@cello.UUCP> sanders@sanders.austin.ibm.com (Tony Sanders) writes:
>The only right they loose is they cannot sell gnu code for their own
>profit.
>For anything other than the "GNU library" and "bison" issue:
>    I fail to see how someone could unwittingly do this unless they
>    havn't a clue.  Would you just snarf up code from ANY source with a
>    copyright without at LEAST reading the copyright yourself.  You
>    don't need a lawyer to figure it out.

Well, for example, take a recent posting to alt.sources: GNU getopt
ported to MS-DOS.

It was posted without a copy of the GNU Public Virus.

Despite that, it is still covered by it. That means that anyone who uses
that package is, because of section 2b of the GPV, automatically forced
to give _his source code_, not just the GNU getopt package, away, and
prevented from restricting redistribution of that code. All without his
knowledge.

I agree that the person who posted GNU getopt without a copy of the GPV
screwed up; still, that doesn't mean that those who use the code should
be penalized.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

rodney@dali.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (12/15/89)

Jay> Well, for example, take a recent posting to alt.sources: GNU getopt
Jay> ported to MS-DOS.

Jay> It was posted without a copy of the GNU Public Virus.
A bit hostile?  (and pointless)

Jay> Despite that, it is still covered by it. That means that anyone who uses
Jay> that package is, because of section 2b of the GPV, automatically forced
Jay> to give _his source code_, not just the GNU getopt package, away, and
Jay> prevented from restricting redistribution of that code. All without his
Jay> knowledge.

no, if you use the getopt package, you don't have to post your
sources.  if you change getopt and redistribute it, then you do.
--
Rodney

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (12/15/89)

In <.SP8B@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>I agree that the person who posted GNU getopt without a copy of the GPV
>screwed up; still, that doesn't mean that those who use the code should
>be penalized.

The truism "ignorance of the law is no excuse" has special meaning when
copyright is involved.  Find a lawyer to explain it.  I think there were
also some articles in UnixReview about it.

Basically, the rule is that even if you get something without the copyright
THE COURTS have said that you are liable.  (You'd presumably seek civil
action against the person to cover your tail.)

I emphasized the courts, above, because I wish to point out that this is
not FSF's doing; it is the work of the US Legal System.
	/r$
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

In article <RODNEY.89Dec14141031@dali.ipl.rpi.edu>, rodney@dali.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
> no, if you use the getopt package, you don't have to post your
> sources.  if you change getopt and redistribute it, then you do.

Please re-read section 2b of the GPL.
--

schwartz@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) (12/15/89)

Peter da Silva writes:
>Please re-read section 2b of the GPL.

Section 2 begins with:
+-----
|  2. You may modify your copy or copies of the Program or any portion of
|it, and copy and distribute such modifications under the terms of Paragraph
|1 above, provided that you also do the following:
+-----

If you didn't modify getopt() then section 2 doesn't apply, right?

Section 2 is followed by:
+-----
|Mere aggregation of another independent work with the Program (or its
|derivative) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring
|the other work under the scope of these terms.
+-----

So including gnu getopt() in the same shar file doesn't entangle
you either, right?

--
Scott Schwartz		<schwartz@shire.cs.psu.edu>
"More mips; cheaper mips; never too many." -- John Mashey

" Maynard) (12/15/89)

In article <2212@prune.bbn.com> rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) writes:
>In <.SP8B@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
>>I agree that the person who posted GNU getopt without a copy of the GPV
>>screwed up; still, that doesn't mean that those who use the code should
>>be penalized.
>Basically, the rule is that even if you get something without the copyright
>THE COURTS have said that you are liable.  (You'd presumably seek civil
>action against the person to cover your tail.)

I was speaking in the moral sense, not the legal sense.

I don't object to the fact that someone in that situation should have to
conform to the coyright; what I am objecting to is, specifically, the
virus part of the GPV: his code, _not just GNU getopt_, falls under the
terms of the GPV. This is unconscionable.

People wanted an example of how someone's program could fall under the
terms of the GPV without his knowledge. Here 'tis.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
jay@splut.conmicro.com       (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.
{attctc,bellcore}!texbell!splut!jay +----------------------------------------
 "...when hasn't gibberish been legal C?" -- Tom Horsley, tom@ssd.harris.com

" Maynard) (12/15/89)

In article <RODNEY.89Dec14141031@dali.ipl.rpi.edu> rodney@dali.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) writes:
Jay> It was posted without a copy of the GNU Public Virus.
>A bit hostile?  (and pointless)

Hostile? Possibly. Pointless? nope, since it is an accurate description
of the effect of the GNU Public License: it's a legal virus.

Jay> Despite that, it is still covered by it. That means that anyone who uses
Jay> that package is, because of section 2b of the GPV, automatically forced
Jay> to give _his source code_, not just the GNU getopt package, away, and
Jay> prevented from restricting redistribution of that code. All without his
Jay> knowledge.
>no, if you use the getopt package, you don't have to post your
>sources.  if you change getopt and redistribute it, then you do.

Sorry, that's not correct. Paragraph 2b of the GPV specifically forces
you to place all of your program under its terms if you use any GNU code
in it. This is the virus effect I refer to.
--

In article <1989Dec15.034150.13574@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> schwartz@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Scott Schwartz) writes:
> If you didn't modify getopt() then section 2 doesn't apply, right?

I don't believe that to be the case. Certainly you need to read more than
individual sentences out of context.

> |Mere aggregation of another independent work with the Program (or its
> |derivative) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring
> |the other work under the scope of these terms.

> So including gnu getopt() in the same shar file doesn't entangle
> you either, right?

But including it in the same *binary* does. Stallman has explicitly stated
this in some forum or another.
--

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (With friends like these, who needs hallucinations) Meyer) (12/20/89)

In article <_NQ-B+@splut.conmicro.com> jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:

   Sorry, that's not correct. Paragraph 2b of the GPV specifically forces
   you to place all of your program under its terms if you use any GNU code
   in it. This is the virus effect I refer to.

That's mostly correct. It's wonderful. If I write code for Digital, it
belongs to them, and there's much work involved in releasing it to the
world. If I use GNU code, then the work has already been done, and I
can release it as is.

The one thing you've got wrong is that you don't have to place your
code under the GNU license if you don't release it. Since Digital
can't use their standard technics to make $s off code under the GPL,
they don't lose anything by allowing the release of such code.

	<mike

Tell me how d'you get to be				Mike Meyer
As beautiful as that?					mwm@berkeley.edu
How did you get your mind				ucbvax!mwm
To tilt like your hat?					mwm@ucbjade.BITNET