[alt.religion.computers] Is there any mainstream PD software?

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/20/89)

In article <4793@sugar.hackercorp.com>, Peter sez:
>In article <1989Dec18.235119.8828@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) writes:
>> Well, Peter, if you can change your definitions at will and claim that
>> software that is used by non-computer nerds is actually nerd software
>
>If you were willing to sit down and think about what I'm saying instead of
>acting like a literal-minded idiot you'd see the point.

I still don't get your point. You gave some scenario in which nerds
would sit around encouraging the author of a PD terminal program. That
isn't how this particular terminal program was written. So your point
has no point whatsoever. Therefore you are making silly definitions.

Read Plato's _Republic_ and you'll see what I'm talking about.

So, I place the challenge to the net: Can anyone come up with general-interst
free software which is as good as similar commercial software? Good luck
with Peter, though, he likes to make some strange distinctions.

Now, the end of my previous posting was a sarcastic comment on the
joke posting I made earlier comparing RMS to a vegetarian and saying
that just because a vegetarian thinks eating meat is unethical doesn't
mean that they wish to outlaw meat. It seems that Peter missed that I
was making a joke, and moreover, missed the point of the joke. Too bad
he's a literal-minded idiot. Next time I will append smilies.

>> p.s. it turns out that you're right that rms wants to ban selling software,
>> and all vegetarians want to ban meat... I read about it in Time magazine!
>
>Well, I read about it in the GNU manifesto.

Please give a quote where the Manifesto states that FSF intends to ban
all selling of software. There is no such reference. You are dead wrong.

>> Gosh, and I didn't even know my own hidden agenda...
>
>No, you probably do. But apparently you don't know or care abour RMSes.

If you believe RMS has some hidden agenda, I'd suggest you write or
call him to find out if your hunch is right. He's a person, not the
AntiChrist. Honestly, Peter, when someone says GNU your brain shuts
down.

I hope that you can come up with some new arguments so that 3 months
later you aren't making the same incorrect claims about the FSF's goals.

------
Greg Lindahl

gl8f@bessel.acc.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (12/21/89)

In article <4793@sugar.hackercorp.com>, Peter da Silva sez:

>If you were willing to sit down and think about what I'm saying instead of
>acting like a literal-minded idiot you'd see the point. Terminal programs are
>computer-geek software because they're something that other computer-nerds
>will look at and say "wow, you're a cool frood you" and give the guy who wrote
>it an ego-boost. So he'll go back and do it again and make it better. Can't
>you keep an argument straight for two messages in a row?

As for your claim that I am either goading you or am a 'literal-minded
idiot', I am not attempting to goad you, and I am attempting to understand
your arguments to the extent that my mind can. I would suggest that if you
wish to assault my motives or my intelligence that you do so in email,
so that you won't waste net.bandwidth.

Have a nice day, Peter, and don't use any code from someone else unless
you check the copyright first.

------
Greg Lindahl

Greg said:
> I still don't get your point. You gave some scenario in which nerds
> would sit around encouraging the author of a PD terminal program. That
> isn't how this particular terminal program was written. So your point
> has no point whatsoever. Therefore you are making silly definitions.

Now back to your regularly scheduled flame:

While your message could be used to describe the same situation as mine, it
gives rise to the ludicrous picture of a bunch of socially malajusted
individuals sitting around the computer chanting "Go, Go, Go...".

That's hardly the same as seeing your name in the PD section of your local
computer magazine, or getting feedback from your local BBS. Both of these
are positive feedback from computer freaks, and that's about the only place
you're going to get any response from the world at large.

Tone and phrasing are pretty important.

So why was this particular terminal program written?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'

poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) (12/22/89)

In article <4812@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>So why was this particular terminal program written?
Do you REALLY want to know? (I've somewhat enjoyed all this speculation
about my motives, however unfounded they may be)

						Simon Poole
 poole@verw.switch.ch/poole@chx400.switch.ch/mcsun!cernvax!chx400!poole

In article <1989Dec21.233446.28270@chx400.switch.ch> poole@chx400.switch.ch (Simon Poole) writes:
> Do you REALLY want to know?