[alt.religion.computers] What do I want to see in the Apple of the 90's?

6600pete@hub.UUCP (12/22/89)

Follow-up To: alt.religion.computers

From article <1989Dec19.175846.25694@nueces.cactus.org>, by chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley):
> 1) If you have a NeXT with a NeXT Printer attached and print something...
> 2) If you have a LaserWriter hooked up to your NeXT
> In case 1, the system slows down.
> In case 2, the NeXT is not slowed at all.

> If you need a high quality, high volume LaserPrinter, by
> all means, do NOT get a NeXT laser printer for the NeXT.

Okey doke. I don't have any problem with that.

But we were talking about standard equipment, remember? A LaserWriter or
whatever is another $5K.

Strikes me as ironic that NeXT people (not necessarily you) bash the Mac
for having an expensive printer and then recommend that one go out and buy
one for the NeXT...
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/27/89)

6600pete@hub.UUCP writes:

>Follow-up To: alt.religion.computers

>From article <1989Dec19.175846.25694@nueces.cactus.org>, by chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley):

>> If you need a high quality, high volume LaserPrinter, by
>> all means, do NOT get a NeXT laser printer for the NeXT.

>But we were talking about standard equipment, remember? A LaserWriter or
>whatever is another $5K.

No kidding. You have a horrible memory. I suggest that anyone buying a
NeXT should buy an appropriate printer.

>Strikes me as ironic that NeXT people (not necessarily you) bash the Mac
>for having an expensive printer and then recommend that one go out and buy
>one for the NeXT...

I don't bash the mac about anything. I have a mac and a NeXT and I was
a mac person before I became a NeXT-Macintosh-Sun-*nix person. I
simply find that the NeXT is the appropriate computer to purchase for
many people and that it delivers alot more than the mac in many
situations and that it has alot more room to grow than the mac does.
If you look at the programming environment you will see that the NeXT
OS could be ported to about any fast CPU that exists with only a small
effort. For a small example, see an IBM RT running NeXT Step (I say it
is a small example because it is only the user level programs which
have been ported to the RT).

The point is that the NeXT environment is portable and the Mac is not.
Unless Apple works its butt off, the Mac is dead with the '040. I have
heard that there is no '050. The NeXT, of course, can move to 88k or
even SPARC. (Just like Sun did)

Chris

--
Chris Whatley