[alt.religion.computers] Cheapest way to Unix program developement

gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) (01/17/90)

In article <D_212Fxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>|Mere aggregation of another unrelated program with this program (or its
>|derivative) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring
>|the other program under the scope of these terms.

>> For heaven's sake, guys. The only real difference between gcc and anyone
>> else's C compiler is that you don't have to pay for gcc and you get source.

>This is not true, *IF* you include any library routines covered under the
>GPL, and if linking with a library is not considered "Mere aggregation...
>on a volume of storage". Various people associated with the FSF have stated
>that linking is not "mere aggregation", therefore you can't use any GNU
>libraries if you want to retain control over the distribution of your code.

Note that followups are directed elseware since the copyleft debate is not
relevant to i386.  But, you probably don't need to post there either, just
look back at the recent discussion to which Peter has already contributed
quite a bit of noise.

Again, I ask how do you distinguish linking from mere agragation?  I am
asking this in a legal sense, not the "mere oppinion" of "various people."
Peter's statement is not even authoratative with respect to RMS and/or FSF.

And, you probably do want to look into this issue carefully before you
release any code.

Gerry Gleason

derek@carroll1.cc.edu (Derek Inksetter) (01/17/90)

In article <108@zds-ux.UUCP> gerry@zds-ux.UUCP (Gerry Gleason) writes:
>In article <D_212Fxds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>|Mere aggregation of another unrelated program with this program (or its
>>|derivative) on a volume of a storage or distribution medium does not bring
>>|the other program under the scope of these terms.
>
>>> For heaven's sake, guys. The only real difference between gcc and anyone
>>> else's C compiler is that you don't have to pay for gcc and you get source.
>
>>This is not true, *IF* you include any library routines covered under the
>>GPL, and if linking with a library is not considered "Mere aggregation...
>>on a volume of storage". Various people associated with the FSF have stated
>>that linking is not "mere aggregation", therefore you can't use any GNU
>>libraries if you want to retain control over the distribution of your code.

	And the following was posted to alt.sources recently:

Article 1002 of alt.sources:
From: bjaspan@athena.mit.edu (Barr3y Jaspan)
Newsgroups: alt.sources
Subject: A Dynamic Object library for C
Date: 16 Jan 90 01:41:31 GMT
Sender: news@athena.mit.edu (News system)

The following is a library that implements "dynamic objects" in C.  A
dynamic object is basically an array that resizes itself automatically
as elements are added to it (thus freeing the programmer from having to
deal with it).  It is similar the GNU's opstack code, except my library
isn't covered by the gnu license.  The code is not complicated, and you
could probably hit ten people with a rope on a crowded street that could
have written it as well.  However, I actually got around to doing it
right and testing and documenting it.

.
.
.

This is really getting funny.  Now, there are people rewriting libraries to
avoid the GNU license.  And look where it's coming from, too.

derek
--
.sig file closed for repairs--No thru traffic

> Again, I ask how do you distinguish linking from mere agragation?

I don't. RMS does. The whole business about distributing unlinked sources
and copies of the library attests to that.

> I am asking this in a legal sense,

In a legal sense you just have "mere opinions" of "various people". There is
no case law yet.

> And, you probably do want to look into this issue carefully before you
> release any code.

Which is all I said, so why the (mild) flame? I'm curious.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'