[alt.religion.computers] Clean Design vs. Source Code

lennox@paris.sw.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) (01/20/90)

I've decided it's time to ditch my clunky old (but reliable, and state of the
art when it was bought) 4.77 MHz 8088 XT to something a bit more modern.  I'm
tempted to go Mac (for reasons of taste; I DON'T WANT TO START A PC-MAC WAR HERE!)
but I've gotten quite used to kernel-hacking DOS.

What do you think ... is it better to have a badly-designed, kludgey OS that you
have the source code to, or better to have a well-designed OS whose innermost
workings are a mystery.  From a hacker's point of view.

In the same vein ... is it preferable to hack a kludgey segmented architecture over
a neatly-designed one because the former is more of a challenge?

--

|    Craig Scott Lennox -- Stratus Computer - Marlborough,  MA     |
|           Dyslexic Existentialism:  "Is there a dog?"            |

cygnus@vax1.acs.udel.EDU (Marc Cygnus) (01/20/90)

In article <598@lectroid.sw.stratus.com> lennox@paris.sw.stratus.com (Craig Scott Lennox) writes:
> <etc. deleted>...
>but I've gotten quite used to kernel-hacking DOS.
			       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>What do you think ...is it better to have a badly-designed, kludgey OS that you
								     ^^
>have the source code to, or better to have a well-designed OS whose innermost
							    ^^
>workings are a mystery.  From a hacker's point of view.
>
> <etc. deleted>

ouchouch. `kernel' hacking? Dos doesn't _have_ a kernel. ...and 'OS'?
Dos is most _certainly_ NOT an operating system. It's a bloody MONITOR!! :-)

personally, your point i think is rather a good one. i have to work with dos
quite a bit and yes, i really like being able to hack around braindamage that
i can pinpoint in source.

unfortunately, that's a selfish point of view, since well-designed systems
keep average users (who aren't programmers and don't have the slightest
inclination to ever thinking about being one) from having to deal with system
level stuff. ah well.

>|    Craig Scott Lennox -- Stratus Computer - Marlborough,  MA     |
>|           Dyslexic Existentialism:  "Is there a dog?"            |
>| Find out what I really said -- send for your free decoder ring!  |

					-marcus-

"Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of anyone in particular."
      `...but do YOU own a   |   ARPA: cygnus@vax1.acs.udel.edu
       homemade 6ft Tesla?'  |   UUCP: {yourpick}!cfg!udel!udccvax1!cygnus