[alt.religion.computers] Morality versus enlightened self interest

mwm@raven.pa.dec.com (Mike (Under Construction) Meyer) (01/13/90)

In article <4918@sugar.hackercorp.com> peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

   From: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva)
   Newsgroups: alt.religion.computers
   Date: 12 Jan 90 14:23:35 GMT

   > 1) Any restrictions on redistribution (even as minor as insisting that
   > someone leave your name in the sources) are an imposition of the
   > morals (or ethics, or merely "will" if you want to play word games) of
   > the person imposing the restrictions.

   OK, you've said this over and over. Now how about supporting this statement
   with something other than your naked assertion, because I, for one, don't
   accept it. Restricting the *use* of the program is a moral issue. Insisting
   that someone leave your name in the sources isn't.

And now you're playing word games. Either that, or you don't think
it's immoral to claim credit for a program you didn't write. If the
latter, then you should have no beef against rms. If the former -
well, I'm not interested in playing word games.

	<mike

--
The road is full of dangerous curves			Mike Meyer
And we don't want to go too fast			mwm@berkeley.edu

> I'm not interested in playing word games.

You say it's a word game. I say it's a quantitativce difference sufficiently
large to be a qualitative one. If you can't make that sort of distinction,
you should probably be picketing family planning centers.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>
`-_-'