[alt.religion.computers] Amiga Blues

michael@fts1.uucp (Michael Richardson) (08/14/90)

  [Please note followup. This _IS_ a religious issue, and doesn't
belong in alt.sources.amiga. ]

In article <1037@flash.UUCP> klg@flash.UUCP (Kevin L. Gross) writes:
>Because IMHO, the people that make the Amiga lie through their teeth when
>it comes to supporting the hardware and living up to their claims of
>expandability. Especially, but probably not limited to, the A1000.

  Nope, just the A1000.

>	2. We don't support that software any more.

  Only broken software that didn't follow the rules.

>	3. Our software doesn't have to be forward compatible.

  Well, better to break it, than to do an IBM and just continue to
sell faster, more expensive, and less compatible hardware to fix what
is essentially a software problem. I overheard one fellow complain
that SPSS was too slow on his 33MHZ 386 with a Wren III disk.
  I asked him what OS is was running and then launghed.

>	4. Our software doesn't have to be backward compatible.

  Don't buy it. I agree that 2.0 should have been 1.4, and
2.0 SHOULDN'T have had a 'dos.library'

>	5. You have to reboot in order to run our program.

  Don't buy it. There are better ways.

>	6. Our hardware has to be the last on the expansion slot.

  The A1000 was not originally designed to be daisy chained.
The 2000 and 3000 have no such problems, and the only thing
stopping you from using your Zorro II cards in a 3000 is that
the 3500 isn't out, so you might run out of slots, and you
might stay up at night worying about not having 32 bit performance
out of your 16 bit boards.

>	7. Normally, memory chips are $100/MB, but for you, an Amiga
>	   owner, its $700-800 to upgrade from 1MB to 2MB RAM.

  Particularly if you insist on upgrading your 1000.
  You are right  -- you got sucked into buying a prototype. I couldn't
afford it at the time and then the 500 and 2000 came out. I could have
gotten a 500 a year and half earlier than when I got the 2000. I waited.

>	8. Guru crashes are the fault of the Amiga, they are caused by
>	   vendors who don't write software the way Commodore wants.

  What exactly ARE you saying?

>I love what the Amiga does. I hate what the Amiga does.

  Agreed.
--
   :!mcr!:            | < political commentary currently undergoing Senate >
   Michael Richardson | < committee review. Returning next house session.  >