[alt.religion.computers] Re^2: RAM disk.

chris@ctk1.UUCP (Chris Old) (10/17/90)

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) writes:

>In article <1990Oct11.185949.29164@iconsys.uucp>
>	malc@iconsys.uucp (Malcolm Weir) writes:

>>Really? just how do you persuade *nix to cache "/lib/*", in prefence to
>>Joe Unimportant-User's huge statistical jobs that have been munging vast
>>amounts of data for the past 12 days?

>As /lib is almost readonly, I recommend you to tune BSD file system
>parameters such as maxcontig with appropriate disk controllers.

>Then, you can read entire /lib/libc.a with a single seek.

Can you do this on Sys5?

>>How do you persuade it that the
>>disk accesses caused by the backup of "/irrelevant" are less important than
>>the accesses caused by the CEO's secretary's WP temp files?

>CEO's secretary should have his own workstation, of course.

Get real.

>>(btw, I used to be anti-RAM-disk, 'till I tried a system with "/lib"
>> on RAM. "/tmp" didn't make that much difference, but you should've
>> seen "ld" fly... )

>If you are using your own workstation with large memory and dynamic
>buffer caching, you can observe the same thing.

What a silly remark. We are not talking about how we can speed up
things by throwing money at them, we are talking about how we can
improve performance of an _existing_ configuration.

--------------------
Chris Old (C.t.K.)            | ddsw1!olsa99!ctk1!chris
Tran Systems Ltd              | olsa99!ctk1!chris@ddsw1.mcs.com
If you have no reason for your opinion, change it.

mohta@necom830.cc.titech.ac.jp (Masataka Ohta) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct17.083948.1393@ctk1.UUCP> chris@ctk1.UUCP
	(Chris Old) writes:

>>Then, you can read entire /lib/libc.a with a single seek.

>Can you do this on Sys5?

Yes, if you rewrite Sys5 to use BSD file system, which is actually done
by almost all workstation vendors.

>>CEO's secretary should have his own workstation, of course.
>
>Get real.

See Newsgroups:. We are talking on a legendary monster called RAM disk.
Though uncivilized MSDOS believers still think that RAM disk really
exists, I can't be so real about the discussion on RAM disk.

>What a silly remark. We are not talking about how we can speed up
>things by throwing money at them, we are talking about how we can
>improve performance of an _existing_ configuration.

???

Wasn't the previous poster claiming merits of *ADDING* a dedicated
RAM disk device?

						Masataka Ohta