[alt.religion.computers] Microsoft and Friends

ajayshah@almaak.usc.edu (Ajay Shah) (11/12/90)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc
Subject: Re: Microsoft And Friends

In article <90313.225702RFM@psuvm.psu.edu> RFM@psuvm.psu.edu writes:

>I've wondered about Microsoft sometimes myself, but let's face it: if Intel
>keeps driving the Mainstream PC market, Microsoft is in the catbird's seat.
>Would I drop DOS? No way, not for UNIX, at least. Prejudiced, Maybe. Butt
>more, DOS is where all my software apps are.
I could play along with this viewpoint... yes, that to a lot of
users, the machine is largely a set of applications.

(You have to remember that the same set of apps running on a real
multi-tasking windowing big-screen system is a real screamer
against something like Windows which makes my 386 feel like a
PC-XT.  The applications, yes, but on what platform?  NeXT is a
wonderful platform for running 123 and WordPerfect (say).
Similarly, WingZ on the Sun really kicks in as compared with
anything you can do with Windows or the Mac).

>Hence I'm vitally interested in
>what Microsoft is doing.
How does that follow?  Microsoft is just one player in a big
game.  NeXT, Sun, Amiga etc. all have powerful acts in place.
Microsoft is neither very innovative nor very fast; I don't see
how it is axiomatic that they figure as central players.

>   As for OS/2, it's time is coming (albeit slowly) It's the 32-bit
>operating system (if the future is 32 bits). DOS Extenders are patches,
>more in the genre of temporary fixes than permanent solutions. As far as I'm
>concerned, Windows was a dog, is a dog, adn will continue to woof. The next
>REAL step forward is to 32-bit systems, and Windows can't touch that.
>OS/2 is in our futures.
How does that follow?  You start off by agreeing that OS/2 today
is a dead duck.  What is to prevent it from staying a dead duck?
Since you think applications are so important, isn't it striking
that there are more 100% GUI applications for the NeXT and for
the Sun than for OS/2 (this is from the Applications Watch column
of _Personal_Workstation_).

Think about this: $3k buys you a NeXT with 8M of memory, big
screen, megapixel display, a real multitasking OS, cshell windows
if your IQ is better than a basketball player, a spectacular
frontend, a consistent imaging model, a 400 dpi postscript laser
printer addon for $1500, etc.  No amount of money can buy a Intel
box of the same performance, and the closest that you can come
with a 486 will cost something like $10k.

SPARC/Mips boxes running Unix are far better candidates for our
future (in the sense that I would bet on them) than Intel and
Microsoft.  A few weeks ago, Sun announced the Sparcstation 2,
which delivers 28.5 mips and 4.5 MFlops, all this with less
investment  in VLSI technology than the 486.  You can buy SPARC
chipsets for $30, when Intel (monopolist) hawks anemic 20 MHz 386
chips for $300.

You have to have your head in the ground to ignore the impending
death of Intel-Microsoft... sure sound like PC Magazine in
emitting the official line on OS/2!

Nothing personal of course..

Ajay Shah, (213)734-3930, ajayshah@usc.edu
                              The more things change, the more they stay insane.