[alt.religion.computers] Computers for users not programmers

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (02/06/91)

[ Followups to alt.religion.computers; this isn't
  comp.arch fodder any more. ]

According to jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles):
>The people I'm talking have used _many_ different systems and have
>switched many times.  They _know_ what's involved in moving to a new
>system.  ...  The conclusion is that UNIX does _not_ have sufficient
>capability to offset those features it lacks.

That conclusion would be meaningful if we knew to what purpose the
UNIX computers were being used.  UNIX is not right for all tasks.
Those who claim so have something in common with those who claim the
opposite: prejudice.

>But, your point is quite accurate and explains why there's so much
>resistence to change from UNIX users.

I do not desire to defend UNIX users, any more than I desire to attack
users of other systems.  It is the UNIX system itself that I wish to
defend against charges of being underpowered for serious use.

UNIX is dated.  But its tool-based approach has proved successful for
me in my work.  I cannot give any higher recommendation.  If you did
not have a similar experience, why bother trying to draw others away,
when only their own experience will be persuasive?

>... a lot of UNIX supporters have sent me examples of stuff
>to "prove" how powerful UNIX is ... they all do something
>trivial or useless ...

An example may be trivial; but that does not necessarily imply that
the thing being exemplified is trivial or inconsequential.  Examples
are, of necessity, limited in scope, since their purpose is not to
accomplish a goal but to illustrate an approach.  If the approach thus
illustrated does not appeal to you, then make that point; but remember
that it is nothing more or less than a matter of taste.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
 "Most of my code is written by myself.  That is why so little gets done."

Followups to alt.religion.computers, as this stuff shouldn't be diluting
comp.arch.

In article <27A97D37.4346@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
> According to jlg@lanl.gov (Jim Giles):
> >... asynchronous I/O ...

Yes, Jim, UNIX in general does not have truly asynchronous I/O. Why not?
Because it simply doesn't matter on machines smaller than your Crays.
The worst overhead we get for I/O buffering on the fastest machine here
is 5-10%; it's negligible on anything smaller than a big Sun.

> >... automatic crash recovery ...
> >... error recovery ...

Checkpointing handles these problems. The main reason I wrote my poor
man's checkpointer (pmckpt, available via anonymous ftp to
128.122.128.22, new version appearing soon) was because I was so sick of
hearing you rave that UNIX can't checkpoint files. It can, and I wish
you would stop.

> >... reconnect ...
> These are *kernel* features, unrelated to the UNIX tool philosophy.
> (Though they can sometimes be emulated incompletely; Dan Berstein's
> pty tool allows reconnection after hangup.)

Actually, to give credit where credit is due, Steve Bellovin designed
the UNIX session manager, and pty's session management facilities are
only slightly more general. The session manager provides reconnection
facilities more powerful than in VMS or any other widely used operating
system. I disagree with Chip's statement that reconnect is a kernel
feature; the fact that it can be implemented at the user level is a
perfect example of the tool philosophy.

---Dan