[alt.religion.computers] X11R4 clients

mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at (Michael K. Gschwind) (03/25/91)

In article <9103211806.AA17987@hwcae.cfsat.honeywell.com> rand@HWCAE.CFSAT.HONEYWELL.COM writes:
>** ARRGGHH **
>
>I just loaded up PSK Q2 (why is it called PSK Q2?) and I found 3
>executables in /usr/X11/bin:
>	dmtox
>	mwm
>	x11start
>
>Where are the clients? Like xterm and the such. These are required for
>X11R4 support.

I am still not sure whether HPollo screws its customers on purpose ...

Boy, I'm so fed up with Hpollo and (especially) their suits, you can't
imagine. Just what good is an X11R4 server if

	*) you need a US keyboard with ALT keys?
		- most sites I know have plenty of old keyboards
		w/o ALT keys! Ok, we are being told that it should
		work OK with the old keyboards as well, but what
		guarantees do we have that it works? if it won't work,
		we'll be told: `look, it's all in the release notes'

	*) no clients
		mwm doesn't work for us anyway (4 plane bitmap, too
		few colors), so its 0 clients.

	*) no include files
		so you can't even get the client sources from MIT and
		compile them yourself!

Just how stupid do the suits at HP think Apollo customers are? Are we
second class customers because we are not so fond of HP-SUX?
I am wondering we people keep buying Apollos (do they sell any more of
them?)

Here comes the first full POSIX compatible Domain/OS implementation
(sr 23.7 ;-)

int
_every_function(...)
{
	errno = Esomething;

	return -1;
}

[ Yes, if you document that a call won't work on your system, and
return an error number, you are still POSIX compliant, or so I've been
told ...]

Rightfully, HP suits could then claim that `this OS works within the
specification' (their most favorite answer to APRs), if they document
it in the release notes...

				bye,
					mike

PS: another good APR std answer (especially when it comes to X problems):
`get source from MIT/uunet/whatever and compile yourself' - just why are
we buying their OS? after all, we `could get the source from UCB
ourselves'.

Michael K. Gschwind, Dept. of VLSI-Design, Vienna University of Technology
mike@vlsivie.tuwien.ac.at	1-2-3-4 kick the lawsuits out the door
mike@vlsivie.uucp		5-6-7-8 innovate don't litigate
e182202@awituw01.bitnet		9-A-B-C interfaces should be free
Voice: (++43).1.58801 8144	D-E-F-O look and feel has got to go!
Fax:   (++43).1.569697          #include <std_disclaimer.blabla>