[alt.religion.computers] BASIC

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) (05/10/91)

In article <1991May9.010805.21605@mcs.kent.edu> rothstei@mcs.kent.edu (Michael Rothstein) writes:
>"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who've
>had a prior exposure to Basic; as potential programmers they are mentally
>mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." Edsgar Dijkstra
>
>(though not quite as extreme as he is, I also think we should not encourage
>the usage of Basic).

  Actually, I'm quite happy with BASIC.  It was my first language.
Not one of these micro-pared-down BASIC versions like Applesoft,
though.  It was HP's BASIC (on the 3000 series), and was really a joy
to work in--real subroutines, matrix operations, PRINT USING, ....

  For string manipulation or quick programming, I haven't found a
language I'm happier with than BASIC, actually.  Unfortunately none of
the useful dialects (VAX BASIC, HP/3000 BASIC, ....) are portable.
Still, it doesn't mean that learning BASIC necessarily messes you up,
as long as you have a version with reasonable control structures....

  Followups to alt.religion.computers, just in case.

	Anton

+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+----------------+
| Anton Rang (grad student) | rang@cs.wisc.edu | UW--Madison | "VMS Forever!" |
+---------------------------+------------------+-------------+----------------+

) (05/10/91)

rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang) writes:
> In article <1991May9.010805.21605@mcs.kent.edu> rothstei@mcs.kent.edu (Michae
> >"It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who've
> >had a prior exposure to Basic; as potential programmers they are mentally
> >mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." Edsgar Dijkstra
>
>   Actually, I'm quite happy with BASIC.  It was my first language.

Fear not, for it is possible to recover from BASIC. It was my first language,
too, and I used to think it was quite good for hacking together quick example
programs.

Then came revision time for my Computer Science degree. I decided to try out a
few of the algorithms I had been taught, in the hope that playing with them
would help me to learn them.

I dug out my Structured BASIC interpreter, and I was overjoyed to discover
that I couldn't remember how to write BASIC. I couldn't even put together a
simple three-line function. I struggled for a couple of minutes... then fired
up my Lisp system and used that.

It was a proud moment. I suddenly felt that I could truly call myself a
computer scientist.

mathew