[aus.sun-works] Amiga 3000UX & Sparc

alexk@otc.otca.oz.au (Alex Kowalenko) (03/21/91)

I'm looking for for a solution to this problem:

The cheapest box running a "standard" Unix, X11 (and a good ~1000x900 display), and capable of compiling Gnu applications without too much modification.

I was looking at an Amiga 3000UX, but it seems that a Sun Sparcstation SLC, seems to be the best solution, though it's very close:

An Amiga would need an bigger display (expensive) and disk space?  SYSVR4 is the new standard (it's the right direction).

For PC's you need buy an Unix package with development kit (expensive) and a good display(expensive) and extra memory + 386 at least.  Xenix fails the test and looks like SCO Unix is not that great (I've heard that they won't do a SYSVR4)
The only other Unix is Interactive 386ix (expensive for development system), and some other SYSVR4's i don't know much about.  Other non standard solutions: Minix (do it yourself approach), MKS $99 Unix (this is the Unix me grandad used!), GNU kernel (Mach based) (this is the Unix my children will use!).

For Mac A/UX IIsi at least with more memory (expensive by definition).  (It doesn't seem to be that standard for compiling gnu-ware.) (They might do a SYSVR4)

SLC's have SunOS4.x standard and 1100x900 100dpi screen, 8MB (you need more), X11; that's about US$6000 (SunOS5.0 probably will be SYSVR4) All of GNU, university ingres, postgres + much more.

What you need to add to that is more memory( ->16MB) more disk space (~400MB) and some sort of backup medium (tape), for a good top rate development environment.  This would then make the package become more expensive (about US$8000).  But it seems that it would be hard to match on these goals.

The disadvantges are that is not a PC, Mac or a Amiga, and commercial software costs!

--

    Alex Kowalenko                 ACSnet: alexk@otc.otca.oz
    R&D Contractor                   UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz!alexk
                                    Phone: +6 2 287 3131
                                    Snail: GPO Box 7000, Sydney 2001, Australia

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (03/22/91)

alexk@otc.otca.oz.au writes:
>I'm looking for for a solution to this problem:
>
>The cheapest box running a "standard" Unix, X11 (and a good ~1000x900
>display), and capable of compiling Gnu applications without too much
>modification.

I'd go for a 3000UX with the Hedley monitor, myself.

>An Amiga would need an bigger display (expensive) and disk space?

A2024 monitor isn't all THAT expensive.  And disk is getting cheap - how
about 1Gbyte for ~$1500? (Rumor heard this morning - might not be true.)

As for PCs, forget it - the 1K X 1K display requirement kills you, not
to mention the fact that a standard ISA bus machine (the cheapest) sux
rox on I/O speed, both disk and video.

>For Mac A/UX IIsi at least with more memory (expensive by definition).

A/UX = Apple's Unix eXtraquirky.  Don't go A/UX unless you're willing to
live with a very idiosyncratic version of Unix.

>SLC's have SunOS4.x standard and 1100x900 100dpi screen, 8MB (you need more),
>X11; that's about US$6000 (SunOS5.0 probably will be SYSVR4)

Might not be a bad choice - but watch out for gotchas.  For example, just
how easy is it to add disk space (the basic SLC is diskless)?  On the older
Suns, it wasn't hard, but you had to get a "shoebox", not just a disk.
Little price increments sneak up on you fast!

>But it seems that it would be hard to match on these goals.

Depends on your goals.  The Suns are nice little boxes, to be sure - but
for the low end, I think the A3000UX still is a win.  It isn't everything,
but it's nicely balanced.

| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |

kim@bilby.cs.uwa.oz.au (Kim Shearer) (03/22/91)

In <1991Mar21.191653.26209@sat.com> farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) writes:

>alexk@otc.otca.oz.au writes:
>>I'm looking for for a solution to this problem:
>>
>>The cheapest box running a "standard" Unix, X11 (and a good ~1000x900
>>display), and capable of compiling Gnu applications without too much
>>modification.

>I'd go for a 3000UX with the Hedley monitor, myself.

>>An Amiga would need an bigger display (expensive) and disk space?

>A2024 monitor isn't all THAT expensive.  And disk is getting cheap - how
>about 1Gbyte for ~$1500? (Rumor heard this morning - might not be true.)

>>SLC's have SunOS4.x standard and 1100x900 100dpi screen, 8MB (you need more),
>>X11; that's about US$6000 (SunOS5.0 probably will be SYSVR4)

>Might not be a bad choice - but watch out for gotchas.  For example, just
>how easy is it to add disk space (the basic SLC is diskless)?  On the older
>Suns, it wasn't hard, but you had to get a "shoebox", not just a disk.
>Little price increments sneak up on you fast!

>>But it seems that it would be hard to match on these goals.

>Depends on your goals.  The Suns are nice little boxes, to be sure - but
>for the low end, I think the A3000UX still is a win.  It isn't everything,
>but it's nicely balanced.

 I would hardly say that 16 Mb of memory and 400 Mb of disk is "low end".
 I am currently using an SLC with its standard 8 Mb and have no problems.

 If the monitor isnt all that expansive give us an idea.