[alt.sources.d] euser - display the effective user name, SysV-ish

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (07/08/89)

In article <14448@bfmny0.UUCP> tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) writes:
>If you need a FAST way to generate the name of your current effective
>user (including the effects of su(1) etc), this works.  It's not fancy.
>Obviously it has to read /etc/passwd.  Feel free to hack and pass
>around.

>X	while (fgets(line, sizeof(line), pass) != NULL)

This is not a very good idea.  You make assumptions about the
password file which probably won't be holding true for too many
more releases of UNIX.

getpwuid() is going to be your best bet.  It should be hoped
that your local software vendor took the time to implement
getpwuid() in an efficient manner; such as using YP or ndbm or
whatever services are available.  In a distributed environment
the password file may not even reside on your machine completely.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the month club: ------------
VoiceNet: (512) 832-8832   Data: -8835  | "Computer security is to information

wht@tridom.uucp (Warren Tucker) (07/10/89)

In article <37612@sgi.SGI.COM>, jmb@patton.sgi.com (Jim Barton) writes:

> Why waste time with this?  The system V 'id' command does the
> same thing!  And, it's standard!

whoami is standard on BSD, too, and prints exactly what
the other gentleman and I wanted to know without all that sed
gibberish.

But why am I responding to someone who wastes 1000s of alt.sources
readers time with his opinion of waste :-) ?

Jeez people:
  1) while(1) { puts("post only sources to alt.sources); }
  2) be a little tolerant

>   "I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
> --

:-)
Warren Tucker, Tridom Corporation       ...!gatech!emory!tridom!wht
Sforzando (It., sfohr-tsahn'-doh).  A direction to perform the tone
or chord with special stress, or marked and sudden emphasis.