[alt.sources.d] Format of Faces - I have a face to sunrasterfile program.

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (08/06/89)

Hi,
  Is there a definitive definition of the face format?  I have
a program that converts from face to sunrasterfile based on what
I could guess from some of the files that I got from uunet.  I
wondered whether there was a list of all the header lines and
suggested uses.

I am a little confused over the picdata: and imagedata: lines
as I couldn't see a use for both of them.  I just used the
picdata: line to decode the image, but wasn't sure what I was
supposed to do with the imagedata: line.  Is their any restriction
on the sizes of the image?  Most seem to be 108 x 128 pixels max
but all say the image is 96 x 128.

Anyway, if anybody wants Rick Adams to grin from their sun
screen, I have a program that can do it.
--
  ______    JANET :jonathan@uk.ac.keele.cs     Jonathan Knight,
    /       BITNET:jonathan%cs.kl.ac.uk@ukacrl Department of Computer Science

In article <711@kl-cs.UUCP> jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) writes:

     Is there a definitive definition of the face format?
   I have a program that converts from face to sunrasterfile based on
   what I could guess from some of the files that I got from uunet.  I
   wondered whether there was a list of all the header lines and
   suggested uses.
The one on uunet is appended, however the answer to your question is no.
I asked Lou if he would give suggested headers, but he declined saying:

   Sure.  The format is now openended ...

And I replied:

I understand that.  However, there should be only one name for a
particular header.  For example, Office: could also be named
Location:, or RoomNumber: and Extension: could also be named
WorkPhone:, BusinessPhone:, or OfficePhone:.  I would rather have you
add Office: and Extension: to the file that documents the format so that
if the user adds them, they will be added with a consistent name.

   I am a little confused over the picdata: and imagedata: lines
   as I couldn't see a use for both of them.  I just used the
   picdata: line to decode the image, but wasn't sure what I was
   supposed to do with the imagedata: line.

Image: gives the aspect ratio.

   Is their any restriction on the sizes of the image?  Most seem to
   be 108 x 128 pixels max but all say the image is 96 x 128.

There is no restriction on the sizes of the image.  Most of the pictures
I took are about 100x100, but that's a rough measurement.

uunet.uu.net:/faces/format follows:

Format is now
	FirstName:
	LastName:
	E-mail:
	PicData:         Actual data:  width - height - bits/pixel
	Image:           Should be transformed to: width - height - bits/pixel
	(Blank line)
	Hexified picture

NOTE: The order of the headers is not guaranteed and additional headers
will probably be added. If you want to parse the headers, use the
Keywords. That's what they are there for.

C program to postscriptem follows

[deleted]
--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])|(70441.205@compuserve.com)|
       (Russ.Nelson@f360.n260.z1.fidonet.org)|(BH01@GEnie.com :-)

jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) (08/07/89)

From article <NELSON.89Aug6002252@sun.clarkson.edu>, by nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson):
> Format is now
> 	FirstName:
> 	LastName:
> 	E-mail:
> 	PicData:         Actual data:  width - height - bits/pixel
> 	Image:           Should be transformed to: width - height - bits/pixel
> 	(Blank line)
> 	Hexified picture

That's what I thought it should be 'cos that's what I got from uunet.
However some of the files have headers that are not in this, such
as:

Telephone:
Company:
Address1:
Address2:
CityStateZip:

It would help greatly if someone could give a definite list of current
headers that are permitted to make life easier.

--

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (08/10/89)

In the referenced message, jonathan@cs.keele.ac.uk (Jonathan Knight) wrote:
}I am a little confused over the picdata: and imagedata: lines
}as I couldn't see a use for both of them.  I just used the
}picdata: line to decode the image, but wasn't sure what I was
}supposed to do with the imagedata: line.

The PicData: line specifies how big the image is; the Image: (not
ImageData:) line, how big it is supposed to be.  In other words, the
pixels in the image are not necessarily square.  If you're not handling
the Image: line, then most of your images will be TOO FAT.

So far I have seen four face-to-whatever programs posted.  The two that
convert to PostScript handle Image: by letting PostScript do the
rescaling.  The two that convert to something else do not handle
Image:.  My own (unreleased) program is the only one I know of that
both converts to another raster format and handles Image:.
---
Jef

    Jef Poskanzer  pokey@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!pokey
                "And that's the way it is." -- Walter Cronkite

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (08/10/89)

Could someone tell me if there are programs to display these face
files on a DOS based PC's graphics screen?  (I have HGC graphics.)

Thank you very much for your time.

...Sam
--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,cs.ubc.ca}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl