[alt.sources.d] Censorship is REAL bozoware

tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) (08/09/89)

I would rather read 800 bozo programs than this crap from Traina.
The net doesn't need "form letters," let alone rogue cancellations.
I urge folks like Paul to devote more energy to coming up with
interesting postings of their own and less to carping at others'.
--
"We walked on the moon --	((	Tom Neff
	you be polite"		 )) 	tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) (08/10/89)

In the referenced message, tneff@bfmny0.UUCP (Tom Neff) wrote:
}The net doesn't need "form letters"

I disagree.  I have been using a script similar to Paul's for months, with
fairly good results.  In fact, I believe Paul was one of the people I used
it on, which may account for his current attitude.  But he's an unusual
case; most people, when they get one of my form letters, simply send
back an apology and start paying more attention to the Newsgroups: line.
---
Jef

    Jef Poskanzer  pokey@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!pokey
 "If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward,
             then we are a sorry lot indeed." -- Albert Einstein

pst@anise.acc.com (Paul Traina) (08/11/89)

pokey@well.UUCP (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
>I disagree.  I have been using a script similar to Paul's for months, with
>fairly good results.  In fact, I believe Paul was one of the people I used
>it on, which may account for his current attitude.  But he's an unusual
>case; most people, when they get one of my form letters, simply send
>back an apology and start paying more attention to the Newsgroups: line.

As I recall, the reason you sent me one was because I posted a non-source
posting in alt.sources (with a followup to alt.config) asking people if they
hadn't had enough of this and were finally ready to rmgroup alt.sources.  I
felt pretty silly when Jef pointed out to me that I had broken the non-source
rule in alt.sources; but I thought it was important that the inital message
be seen there so no one would argue that any rmgrouping was done behind their
backs.

Well, the response against rmgrouping alt.sources was so strong that I took
to sending notes to everyone that posted non-source drivel to the group.
After about a month of this,  I wrote a script to deal with the problem
directly,  an hour (and 5 flame letters) later,  I wrote a script to deal
with the problem less directly :-(

foo

--
The Constitution isn't all that great, but it sure beats the hell out of
what we're using now.