[alt.sources.d] Perl 3.0 Beta, gethostent

tale@pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (09/12/89)

Perl wouldn't compile on our SunOS 4.0.3 Sun3 systems because we're
using the resolver routines from UUNET.  gethostent() isn't provided
so the loader bombed with undefined symbol _gethostent.  (Actually, I
could link it with -Bstatic because the resolver routines are only
installed in the dynamic library here and the static one still has all
of the Sun stuff; it's something we intend to sync soon though.)  I'm
not sure about the best way to fix this in the long run; it seems a
good question to add to Configure, though.

One other thing: during the general make of perl, it did a make in the
x2p directory which failed because it had no way to make config.sh.
Changing the dependency line for Makefile: to prepend '../' to
'config.sh' remedies the problem.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale@pawl.rpi.edu" "tale@itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

stevea@laiter.i88.isc.com (Steve Alexander) (09/12/89)

In article <7199@rpi.edu> tale@pawl.rpi.edu writes:
>Perl wouldn't compile on our SunOS 4.0.3 Sun3 systems because we're
>using the resolver routines from UUNET.  gethostent() isn't provided
>so the loader bombed with undefined symbol _gethostent.

You ought to be able to use _gethtent instead of gethostent.  At least
this is true for 4.3BSD versions of the resolver.  _gethtent is what
the gethostby* routines use to look up hosts if the nameserver isn't up.

--
Steve Alexander, Software Technologies Group    | stevea@i88.isc.com
Interactive Systems Corporation, Naperville, IL | ...!{sun,ico}!laidbak!stevea

>You ought to be able to use _gethtent instead of gethostent.  At least
>this is true for 4.3BSD versions of the resolver.  _gethtent is what
>the gethostby* routines use to look up hosts if the nameserver isn't up.

The ultimate problem is that "gethostent()" doesn't make sense when run
with the resolver, so simply disabling it (e.g., making it print "What?
List every host listed in the DNS?  Are you daft"? :-)) if you're linking
with a library that makes "gethost*()" use the resolver is probably the
correct solution.