[alt.sources.d] Obtaining Program to Operate TWO Printers

yakker@ucrmath.UCR.EDU (The Rastafari Yakker) (11/06/89)

We are trying to obtain some public domain program out there somewhere
that allows two (or more) printers to run on a single queue in SunOS,
or BSD.  We would like to get this program without having to change
our entire structure of the way we print materials here...Has anyone
written a proper filter to allow for this, and if so, can you send it
to me via E-mail?  It would be MUCH appreciated.  The code we have
written is a quick patch-like job, but we need something for the
long haul.  Thanks for your help.  It uses the BSD lp(?) format.

yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu                         ..!ucbvax!ucsd!ucrmath!yakker
Matt Robinson, Systems Group                   "People use algebraic symbols
University of Califonia at Riverside            to describe things they don't
Department of Math and Computer Science         know anything about."

perry@ccssrv.UUCP (Perry Hutchison) (11/10/89)

In article <2381@ucrmath.UCR.EDU> yakker@ucrmath.UCR.EDU () writes:

>We are trying to obtain some public domain program out there somewhere
>that allows two (or more) printers to run on a single queue in SunOS,
>or BSD ...  can you send it to me via E-mail?

Better yet, post it, preferably to comp.sources.unix or comp.sources.misc.
I'm sure it would be of considerable general interest.

> The code we [UCR] have written is a quick patch-like job ...

Likely to be useful nonetheless.  Maybe you could post this version to
alt.sources if you don't consider it worth archiving.

rusty@garnet.berkeley.edu (11/11/89)

mdqs (multiple device queueing system) can do this.  With it you can
have M queues feeding N printers where M and N >= 1.  You can get it
via anonymous ftp from vgr.brl.mil; it's in the directory arch.
--

	rusty c. wright