[alt.sources.d] alt.ftp-sites: program announcements & archive site info

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (11/20/89)

I'd like to get alt.opinion on this one.

Every so often Jon Granrose posts a list of anonymous FTP sites,
which is good.  Every time I see a new place to snarf a program,
I tuck it away in a folder for my own private information, which
is bad.  Bad because no one else can see my archives, bad because
I don't read all of the possible groups that might have FTP
archive announcements, and bad-bad-bad because there's supposed
to be a comp.archives group for just this purpose but instead it's
bogged down in a lot of meaningless site entry format claptrap.

What I propose is a newsgroup (probably an alt group for starters)
which re-posts news from other groups about where to find things.
Not "I hear that you can get FoobieTerm from Sweden", but the
real announcement by the author or maintainer as to where to get
things, what newsgroup has discussion, etc etc.

Articles would be processed to make sure that headers pointed followup
and discussion to the right places, to tack on whatever other
reasonable headers might be easy to do (like archive site name),
but otherwise there would be minimal effort made to sanitize the
information.

I suspect it might be a pain to get a moderated alt.group going,
but if that's within reach I'd like to try it.

--Ed

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (11/20/89)

Since anon UUCP is as useful as FTP to many, and these should be known
too, I suggest alt.archives or alt.who-has-it or something along those
lines.  I agree comp.archives has become the problem it was created
to solve.  (True of the net itself to some extent, but vot de heck.)

--
"My God, Thiokol, when do you      \\    Tom Neff
want me to launch?  Next April?"   \\    tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (11/20/89)

In article <EMV.89Nov19174333@noether.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
:                        and bad-bad-bad because there's supposed
: to be a comp.archives group for just this purpose but instead it's
: bogged down in a lot of meaningless site entry format claptrap.

Hey, Ed! Send your list to comp.archives; the site entry thing is
only for my database, not for general posting. I already posted
Granrose's list when he sent it to me. I'll be happy to post yours
as well.

: What I propose is a newsgroup (probably an alt group for starters)
: which re-posts news from other groups about where to find things.

You used to send me things and I posted them. What happened?

: Articles would be processed to make sure that headers pointed followup
: and discussion to the right places, to tack on whatever other
: reasonable headers might be easy to do (like archive site name),
: but otherwise there would be minimal effort made to sanitize the
: information.

That can be arranged.

Here's a proposal: for what you are talking about, someone has to
scavenge newsgroups for archive site postings, add the extra
headers, and post them somewhere. Right?

Well, if you can find a victim to do this, let's work it out so
that they can post directly on comp.archives. I don't have any up
front problems with sharing the moderation of the group, should
someone appropriate be found. You'd do. :-)

---
bill@twwells.com

send comp.archives postings to comp-archives@twwells.com
send comp.archives related mail to comp-archives-request@twwells.com
send comp.archives server requests to comp-archives-server@twwells.com

chip@ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (11/20/89)

According to emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti):
>What I propose is a newsgroup (probably an alt group for starters)
>which re-posts news from other groups about where to find things.

Use comp.archives.  That's what it's for.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>