[alt.sources.d] alt.source-code - The alt.sources clone.

kent@ssbell.UUCP (Kent Landfield) (11/17/89)

In article <1618@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <566@ssbell.UUCP>, kent@ssbell.UUCP (Kent Landfield) writes:
>|  Sorry, but I think that this group is a major mistake and a waste of
>|  time. I not only do not want it moderated, I do not want it to exist
>|  at all. I maintain a large archive site and archive all articles in
>|  alt.sources. Once a week, I spend between 5 and 15 minutes clearing
>|  out the non-sources articles. It has never been a problem before now.
>|  Do not make it one. FYI, I was one who did an immediate rmgroup on
>|  alt.source-code when it hit my site.
>
>  Since there are a number of us who would like a code only group, I
>suggest that you not try to decide for us. I did not honor your rmgroup,
>and will post to the new group if it seems to be working. Let's not have
>self-appointed net.gods on the alt. net as well.
>--
>bill davidsen	(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)

You *could* not honor my rmgroup since it *never* reached your site. I did
the rmgroup on my machine *only* and did not bother the net *at* all. I was
not trying to be a *net.god* like some. I *will* not archive this group here
and that is my choice. I would like a code only group as much as you bill,
but creating groups in the hope that people will follow the rules in the
alt *anarchy* is an experiment destined to fail. If you want to assure that
you have a sources only alt group, then create it as a moderated group leaving
alt.sources as an unmoderated group.  Don't just create an group identical to
alt.sources and expect new net readers to immediately know by the name
"alt.source-code" that they should not post requests for "source code" to the
alt.source-code newsgroup.

				-Kent+
---
Kent Landfield               UUCP:     kent@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: kent@ssbell.uu.net
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South     Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969     FAX:      (402) 291-4362

meo@stiatl.UUCP (Miles O'Neal) (11/20/89)

Kent, bill, et al...

Please notice that the first alt.source-code post (here, at least)
was a query for sources.

Quit screweing with the laws of nature, folks, and feed the
washing machine more socks. And the net more flames, I suppose...

-Miles