[alt.sources.d] QOTD server

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (11/23/89)

dupuy@cs.columbia.edu (Alexander Dupuy) writes:

|In article <13937@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> Paul O'Neill writes:
|> [perl script deleted]

|Why is it that everybody thinks perl is great for everything.  I'm sure it has
|its uses, but its only one tool - there are lots of others.  Here's a simpler
|version of the same thing that doesn't require perl, weird perl socket support,
|or a separate deamon process:

Why is it that everybody always jumps at the chance demean someone
else's effort?

The perl tool listed was useful, and has uses beyond simple quote of
the day servers. It also offers the possibility of writing a user level
server, where the script given by Mr. Dupoy must be installed using
root privileges.

Stop being a critic long enough to see the beauty and utility manifest
in such a simple program.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey          sean@ms.uky.edu, sean@ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.

In article <DUPUY.89Nov22120002@hudson.cs.columbia.edu> dupuy@cs.columbia.edu writes:
>Why is it that everybody thinks perl is great for everything.  I'm sure it has
>its uses, but its only one tool - there are lots of others.  Here's a simpler
>version of the same thing that doesn't require perl, weird perl socket support,
>or a separate daemon process:

I think that the perl version was just posted as a demo.  I tend to agree
with the poster here that it's more succinctly written in sh, and also
the point that perl's just another tool.  Whatever let's me get the job done
fastest and easiest is what I want to use.

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"