[alt.sources.d] gettime.c - gets another system's time

jgreely@oz.cis.ohio-state.edu (J Greely) (11/21/89)

[mind-boggling sharfile deleted]

Am I the only one who thinks it's a bit odd to see a copylefted source
posting that's less than half the size of the (included) GNU public
license?  I'm all for protecting software freedom, but come *on*.  If
I copyrighted every sub-100-line program I wrote, I'd quickly run out
of disk space.

			"Look, Max!  It's those pyramid-building
			 aliens I've heard about in speculative films
			 and books!  They came to Earth to build these
			 immense structures to keep their razor blades
			 sharp and their hamburger fresh."
-=-
J Greely (jgreely@cis.ohio-state.edu; osu-cis!jgreely)

Did we really need 12.5k of licence for 3.5k of source code????

This really seems like a waste of net bandwidth.  And it's not
like the program hasn't been written before many times.  I'm
not sure it merited the GPL.  But don't take me wrong: I support
alt.sources and freely-redistributable software, although I sometimes
question that the GNU idea is really better than public domain software,
like Henry Spencer's regular expression libaries.

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist@convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"

jeff@gistdev.gist.com (Jeff Johnson) (11/21/89)

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:

>#! /bin/sh
># This is a shell archive.  Remove anything before this line, then unpack
. . .
># Contents:  COPYING README Makefile gettime.c
. . .
># Wrapped by wcf@psuhcx on Mon Nov 20 15:07:14 1989
. . .
>echo shar: Extracting \"COPYING\" \(12488 characters\)
. . .
>echo shar: Extracting \"README\" \(719 characters\)
. . .
>echo shar: Extracting \"Makefile\" \(465 characters\)
. . .
>echo shar: Extracting \"gettime.c\" \(3593 characters\)

FLAME ON !

This is ridiculous!  Including a 12.5K license agreement for a ~4K
source program and Makefile.  The license is 3X larger than the program
and on top of that the source begins with more copyright mumbo-jumbo.

I have no problem with copyrights, licenses, GNU or their copyleft.  But
is there REALLY a need to distribute "COPYING" AGAIN?  You could have just
pointed us to one of the BILLION other copies floating on the net and
save us phone charges!

Of course I realize this flame costs money too, but maybe someone else
will think twice before doing the same thing.

This is nothing personal aimed at Bill Fenner either...

FLAME OFF

--
Jeff Johnson	Global Information Systems Technology, Inc.
1800 Woodfield Drive	Savoy, IL  61874	+1 217 352 1165

montnaro@sprite.crd.ge.com (Skip Montanaro) (11/21/89)

Check with the GNU folks (try tower@prep.ai.mit.edu). I believe there is a
sort of indirect GNU copyleft these days. Something like, "What it says over
there is what I mean regarding copyright".

--
Skip Montanaro (montanaro@crdgw1.ge.com)

lee@sq.sq.com (Liam R. E. Quin) (11/25/89)

In article <834@gistdev.gist.com> jeff@gistdev.gist.com (Jeff Johnson) writes:
>wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
> FLAME ON !
> This is ridiculous!  Including a 12.5K license agreement for a ~4K
> source program and Makefile.
Certainly true.

Is there anywhere in the world where the GNU licence actually means
anything, or is in *any* way binding?
I do not recall paying money, entering into a *written* contract, or
signing anything, when I recieved the GNU software.  It came down a
wire, and is not stored on a medium copyrightable under British law.
The place of origin (USA) is not a member of the international copyright
convention, so there would not appear to be a binding copyright
agreement either.

And since the headers broke several of the programs I received (by trying
to nest C comments, or by forgetting to open or close them altogether),
I simply deleted them all, and retained a single copy on disk.
Saved fifteen terabytes.

Comments?

Lee
--
Liam R. Quin, Unixsys (UK) Ltd [note: not an employee of "sq" - a visitor!]
lee@sq.com (Whilst visiting Canada from England)

rodney@sun.ipl.rpi.edu (Rodney Peck II) (11/26/89)

Liam> In article <834@gistdev.gist.com> jeff@gistdev.gist.com (Jeff Johnson) writes:
>wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
> FLAME ON !
> This is ridiculous!  Including a 12.5K license agreement for a ~4K
> source program and Makefile.
Liam> Certainly true.

Liam> Is there anywhere in the world where the GNU licence actually means
Liam> anything, or is in *any* way binding?
Liam> I simply deleted them all, and retained a single copy on disk.
Liam> Saved fifteen terabytes.

Liam> Comments?

Yes:  WHO CARES!  This is not gnu.misc.discuss.  If you want to whine about
the GNU Copyleft, go do it there.  This group is for discussing software,
not legal issues.

Why are there so many of you who insist on jumping down someone's throat
for the mildest infraction?  Between this and the stupid perl argument,
there is no information in this group!

Don't any of you write small bits of useful software?  Post them please,
I'd like to see them.  I read them and learn things from them.  I might even
make some useful changes and mail it back to you so you can use it.  I bet
that over 80% of the readers of this group are like myself.  The loud
minority, however, insists on exploding all over the group whenever they
find something done wrong, or with the "wrong" software, etc. etc...

Followups to gnu.misc.discuss.
--
Rodney