[net.followup] Random comment and reply about MAD and the Star Wars plan

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (08/21/84)

> As long as the global situation remains two men sitting in a pool of
> Gasoline arguing over who has more matches, the world is safe.  As soon
> as somebody figures they can but up a firebreak, then we're in for it.

OK, maybe, as long as both people remain sane. But reason at the pinnacles
of power has not been one of the more conspicuous features of 20th century
history. The world is not "safe".

						Jeff Winslow

sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten) (08/22/84)

[BOT]

	Only by applying our minds to creating peace rather than bombs
can we ever achieve peace rather than annihilation.

	When we surround ourselves with trusted fellow earthlings who
we work with cooperatively, rather than feared enemies, we will no
longer need our (in)security blankets ( our omnipotent bombs ).

	Think positively, and work to achieve communication with, and
understanding of, your fellow earthlings, rather than hatred of them,
or fear of them.

	One world is enough for all of us.  We are all One.

	Or would you rather believe
		War Is Peace
		Love Is Hate
		Newspeak is Truth

--
{ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten of Sun Microsystems)

done@teklabs.UUCP (08/24/84)

>>  One world is enough for all of us.  We are all One.

SPEAK FOR YOURSELF please!!  Everbody ELSE is One.  I'm Two.

Don Ellis / Tektronix / Beaverton, Oregon*
                        * Land of Commie Pinko Liberals and Jane Fonda Lovers
                          (I love her with mushroom sauce, myself...)

david@fisher.UUCP (David Rubin) (08/25/84)

>	Only by applying our minds to creating peace rather than bombs
>can we ever achieve peace rather than annihilation.

>	When we surround ourselves with trusted fellow earthlings who
>we work with cooperatively, rather than feared enemies, we will no
>longer need our (in)security blankets ( our omnipotent bombs ).

>	Think positively, and work to achieve communication with, and
>understanding of, your fellow earthlings, rather than hatred of them,
>or fear of them.

>	One world is enough for all of us.  We are all One.

>	Or would you rather believe
>		War Is Peace
>		Love Is Hate
>		Newspeak is Truth

I believe what I see. No fact is a "truth" if it is inconsistent with
observation. We are one...one species. We are NOT one...one nation. We
share one...one world. We do NOT share one...one credo. Until
differences in credo are resolved (and there is little reason to
believe that will happen anytime soon), there will always be coercive
threats. And as long as there are coercive threats, I'll keep my
bombs, thank-you.

					David Rubin
			{allegra|astrovax|princeton}!fisher!david

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (The WITNESS) (08/25/84)

[Line-eater?  WHAT line-ea... (burp)]

> From: sunny@sun.uucp (Sunny Kirsten)

> 	Or would you rather believe
> 		War Is Peace
> 		Love Is Hate
> 		Newspeak is Truth

Most Americans either DO believe your statement, or would like to believe
it; whence comes the arms reduction idea.  Unfortunately, the Soviet Government
preaches those three Orwellianisms you stated... and the Soviet people believe,
being unable to hear a dissenting opinion.  (Note choice of words.)

Fantasy is wonderful... would that reality were as good.

--bsa
--
  Brandon Allbery: decvax!cwruecmp{!atvax}!ncoast!bsa: R0176@CSUOHIO.BITNET
	 6504 Chestnut Road, Independence, OH 44131 <> (216) 524-1416

				<burble>

david@randvax.UUCP (David Shlapak) (08/25/84)

--
{ucbvax|decvax|ihnp4}!sun!sunny (Sunny Kirsten of Sun Microsystems)

    No, I'd rather believe that history demonstrates rather conclusively that
    the nation-state is here to stay, despite all the best efforts of
    many `fellow earthlings' everywhere...

    Or, as the greatest sage of our era, Woody Allen, once said,

	"Excuse me, I'm wanted back on Earth..."

    From the reality-mongering keyboard of

					--- das