[alt.sources.d] posting the perl reference guide

tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) (01/13/90)

In article <JV.90Jan12203815@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>The Reference Card and Guides are distributed in PostScript format,
>since their sources are maintained in a DeskTop Publishing System, and
>not suitable for other processing.

Isn't it a good thing this isn't the approach Larry took with
the manuals, eh?

A non-PS reference card would be nice to have.  I doubt a Perl guide
could be THAT vitally dependent on whatever PS brings to the party...
--
Annex Canada now!  We need the room,    \)      Tom Neff
    and who's going to stop us.         (\      tneff@bfmny0.UU.NET

jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (01/13/90)

The Perl Reference "Card" and Guide are typeset quick reference guides to
Larry Wall's Perl program.

The Reference Card consists of 5 pages of 3-column text, and contains
a concise description of all perl 3.0 statements, functions, variables
and lots of other useful information.
The Reference Guide contains the same information as the Card, but it
is formatted in 8 pages of 2-column text. It should be printed
double-sided, stapled in the middle, folded, and cut to size to have a
16-page 3.5 x 8" booklet.

The Reference Card and Guides are distributed in PostScript format,
since their sources are maintained in a DeskTop Publishing System, and
not suitable for other processing.  The Card should be printable on
all industry-standard PostScript printers, on US Letter (8.5 x 11")
and A4 (21 x 29.7 cm) paper formats.  The Guide comes in two formats:
one for US Letter and one for A4 paper format.

A new revision [3.0.8] is almost finished now. Changes with regard to
the previos version [3.0.4] are typos and minor adjustments.

The previous version has been made available via mail servers and anon
FTP only. This time I consider posting it. That would result in 8
shar-files of 25K each, with which it is possible to build all three
PostScript files (150K each).

Any objections? Better ideas? Shall I post it to comp.lang.perl?
alt.sources? comp.sources.misc? comp.lang.postscript :-) ?

Johan
--
Johan Vromans				       jv@mh.nl via internet backbones
Multihouse Automatisering bv		       uucp: ..!{uunet,hp4nl}!mh.nl!jv

bei@puzzle.UUCP (01/14/90)

In article <JV.90Jan12203815@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>The Reference Card and Guides are distributed in PostScript format,
>since their sources are maintained in a DeskTop Publishing System, and
>not suitable for other processing.

I'm sure that I'm not the only one without access to a Postscript printer.
I've read the above about the current format.  But I'd certainly be grateful
if someone churned out a flat ASCII copy.  If I can get a copy of the
printed reference, I'll type the thing in and make it available.
-- Bob
                     Bob Izenberg [ ] Ralph Kirkley Associates
              attctc!puzzle!bei    512 346 7019 (home)    Austin, TX

jand@kuling.UUCP (Jan Dj{rv) (01/17/90)

In article <JV.90Jan12203815@mhres.mh.nl> jv@mh.nl (Johan Vromans) writes:
>The previous version has been made available via mail servers and anon
>FTP only. This time I consider posting it. That would result in 8
>shar-files of 25K each, with which it is possible to build all three
>PostScript files (150K each).
>
>Any objections? Better ideas? Shall I post it to comp.lang.perl?
>alt.sources? comp.sources.misc? comp.lang.postscript :-) ?

Although many people don't have postscript printers, I think it would be
a good idee to post it to comp.lang.perl.

It would be nice to have a reference card, searching through the man-page(s)
has been my only source of information so far. It can be frustrating
sometimes, so my opinion is: POST POST POST!!!

	Jan D.