[alt.sources.d] archiver wanted

godawski@usceast.UUCP (Mike Godawski,BCBS,788-3860 ext2703,2545277) (01/11/90)

3 or 4 years ago, source was available for the "arc" utility and ported to
a unix flavor machine.  It worked very much like pkarc/pkxarc.
Does anybody out there still have it?  If so, could you mail it to me?

If not, if you have a file archiver's source that will compress multiple
files into one big file, that would do, too.

Thanks in advance.

mike
[generic signature]
UUCP: ...usceast!calvin!username

davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) (01/13/90)

In article <3043@usceast.UUCP> hobbes!godawski@usceast.UUCP writes:
>3 or 4 years ago, source was available for the "arc" utility and ported to
>a unix flavor machine.  It worked very much like pkarc/pkxarc.
>Does anybody out there still have it?  If so, could you mail it to me?

PKARC and PKXARC were actually "stolen" from ARC.  The latter is a copyrighted
program written by System Enhancement Associates.  You can get source code for
$50 (I have it, but obviously can't send it to you).  Send E-mail or post if
you want the address (I don't have it here with me, sorry).

P.S. "Stolen" means that SEA sued the author of PKARC and PKXARC and won an
     out-of-court settlement that resulted in the removal of the PK programs
     from the market.  He's now written PKZIP, I think, which is supposed to
     be better and faster (and legal), but I don't have it.
--
		David Chapman

{known world}!decwrl!vlsisj!fndry!davidc
vlsisj!fndry!davidc@decwrl.dec.com

fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) (01/15/90)

In article <3043@usceast.UUCP> hobbes!godawski@usceast.UUCP writes:
>3 or 4 years ago, source was available for the "arc" utility and ported to
>a unix flavor machine.  It worked very much like pkarc/pkxarc.
>Does anybody out there still have it?  If so, could you mail it to me?

The source for arc5.21 as ported to Unix (and some enhancements) lives
on the archives at osu-cis.edu (did I get that right[from memory?]?).
I grabbed it a few months ago and have been running it on a Sun regularly
with no problems at all.

Fred

roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) (01/15/90)

In article <15442@vlsisj.VLSI.COM>, davidc@vlsisj.VLSI.COM (David Chapman) writes:
> PKARC and PKXARC were actually "stolen" from ARC.  The latter is a copyrighted
> program written by System Enhancement Associates.
[...]
> P.S. "Stolen" means that SEA sued the author of PKARC and PKXARC and won an
>      out-of-court settlement that resulted in the removal of the PK programs
>      from the market.  He's now written PKZIP, I think, which is supposed to
>      be better and faster (and legal), but I don't have it.

I think I have to take some vigerous exception, David. You have used
some pretty strong language to describe a situation about which you
*obviously* have preconceived opinions.

While it's true that SEA sued Phil Katz over PKARC, it is *not at all*
clear that any code was stolen. Phil settled out-of-court because of
economic constraints. Since the suit was settled, Phil introduced PKZIP
which leaves ARC in the file-archiving dust.

SEA had maintained that the primary reason for their suit was the string
"ARC", as used by both SEA and PK for the file extension of the archived
file. Evidence of stolen code was never convincingly produced, and the
single 'expert witness' has since suffered impaired credibility. It is
*very* interesting, by the way, to note that SEA has made no similar
attempt to protect their 'trademark' from the appearance of LHarc. In
fact, a recent GEnie roundtable with Thom Henderson produced some
questions from Phil Katz about this very point. I don't have the file at
hand, but Henderson refused to comment several times, and finally, he
grudgingly admittedd that SEA would not persue LHarc for infringement.

Ok, soapbox off... but I'm surprised you don't have PKZIP. All the BBS
systems I frequent use the ZIP compressor, and many of these systems
refuse to permit ARCfiles at all. (so much for the grand victory)

--
_R_o_y _M_. _S_i_l_v_e_r_n_a_i_l  | UUCP: uunet!comcon!roy  |  "Every race must arrive at this
#include <opinions.h>;#define opinions MINE  |   point in its history"

kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul) (01/16/90)

In article <8247@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
   The source for arc5.21 as ported to Unix (and some enhancements) lives
   on the archives at osu-cis.edu (did I get that right[from memory?]?).

Sort of.  It's osu-cis if you use uucp, tut.cis.ohio-state.edu if you
use ftp.  (Actually osu-cis is called saqqara.cis.ohio-state.edu and
uucp is handled by a bunch of symbolic links to other machines; tut,
giza, saqqara and cheops are all linked for uucp people, but ftp-ers
have to find the sources themselves :-).

-rich
-=-
Rich Kaul                         | "Horse sense is what keeps horses from
kaul@icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu    |  betting on what people will do."
or ...!osu-cis!kaul		  |  			-Damon  Runyon

gl8f@astsun.astro.Virginia.EDU (Greg Lindahl) (01/17/90)

In article <250@comcon.UUCP> roy@comcon.UUCP (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:

>Ok, soapbox off... but I'm surprised you don't have PKZIP. All the BBS
>systems I frequent use the ZIP compressor, and many of these systems
>refuse to permit ARCfiles at all. (so much for the grand victory)

The original poster didn't say if he was using MS-DOS or not. Phil Katz
doesn't release source code for PKZIP -- ARC has released the source code
for ARC. That makes a big difference for us folks who don't use MS-DOS.

We do exist, you know.

Greg Lindahl
gl8f@virginia.edu                                  Astrophysicists for Choice.

paula@bcsaic.UUCP (Paul Allen) (01/17/90)

In article <15442@vlsisj.VLSI.COM> davidc@vlsisj.UUCP (David Chapman) writes:
>In article <3043@usceast.UUCP> hobbes!godawski@usceast.UUCP writes:
>>3 or 4 years ago, source was available for the "arc" utility and ported to
>>a unix flavor machine.  It worked very much like pkarc/pkxarc.
>>Does anybody out there still have it?  If so, could you mail it to me?
>
>PKARC and PKXARC were actually "stolen" from ARC.  The latter is a copyrighted
>program written by System Enhancement Associates.  You can get source code for
>$50 (I have it, but obviously can't send it to you).  Send E-mail or post if
>you want the address (I don't have it here with me, sorry).

The arc sources were posted to the net.  It was my understanding that
SEA released the sources while retaining the copyright.  I don't
remember ever seeing any effort by SEA to stop the Usenet distribution of
arc.  The version of arc that I (occaisionally) use on our Ultrix (BSD)
VAX was posted to net.sources (or whatever it was called back then).
You could probably find it in the archives on uunet or wherever.  There
were System V versions floating around as well.

I'd be willing send a copy of my BSD flavor of arc to anyone who can't
get to the archives.  (Unless I get swamped with requests, in which case
I may post it again.)

Peace

Paul Allen
Paul L. Allen                       | pallen@atc.boeing.com
Boeing Advanced Technology Center   | ...!uw-beaver!bcsaic!pallen

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) (01/17/90)

In article <8247@cg-atla.UUCP> fredex@cg-atla.UUCP (Fred Smith) writes:
>The source for arc5.21 as ported to Unix (and some enhancements) lives
>on the archives at osu-cis.edu (did I get that right[from memory?]?).
>I grabbed it a few months ago and have been running it on a Sun regularly
>with no problems at all.

I have it here for anonymous UUCP.  Here are the files and their sizes:

% ls -s /usr/archive/arc/*
   2 /usr/archive/arc/README
  30 /usr/archive/arc/arc-1.9.Z
  26 /usr/archive/arc/arc-2.9.Z
  34 /usr/archive/arc/arc-3.9.Z
  28 /usr/archive/arc/arc-4.9.Z
  28 /usr/archive/arc/arc-5.9.Z
  26 /usr/archive/arc/arc-6.9.Z
  28 /usr/archive/arc/arc-7.9.Z
  28 /usr/archive/arc/arc-8.9.Z
  24 /usr/archive/arc/arc-9.9.Z
  12 /usr/archive/arc/arc.patches.Z

The number here is (512)-832-8835, login "uucp", no password.  You
can't use wildcards, so set this up in your Systems file with

rpp386 Any ACU 2400 15128328835 in:--in:--in: uucp

You can also pick up /usr/archive/Index for a list of other files
which are available.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org

bt455s10@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carl "Art" McIntosh) (01/17/90)

The arc utility mentioned in this thread definitely will *not*
cost anyone $50.00, unless it is for a phone bill. SEAware's
ARC 5.21 was legitimately released to the net sometime around
June 6, 1988 to comp.sources.unix.  You can find it at any
archive site, it's in volume 15 issue 077.  BTW, it works like
a champ, I've had it running on my Unix box for around a year
with no problems.  I also have the DOS binary of the very same
version, and use it frequently to move archives between UNIX
and DOS.  You can ftp it from uunet, ohio-state, or other sites ...

--

Art Neilson		    | ARPA: manapua!pilikia!root@trout.nosc.mil
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support | UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!manapua!pilikia!root

chuckp@ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.com (Chuck Phillips) (01/18/90)

Check out "zoo" by Rahul Dhesi.  I've successfully used it for moving
directory trees between UNIX, VMS and AmigaDOS.  I understand it has been
ported to PCs, Macs, and STs.  Source code is available.  The author appears
to have gone to a fair amount of trouble to make sure that the binary format
is machine independent.  Did better compression than arc on every file I've
compared.  Tends to compress slightly better than UNIX "compress" on small
files, not quite as well on large ones.

Just a satisfied user...
--
	   Chuck Phillips -- chuckp%ncr-fc.FtCollins.NCR.COM