kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) (06/26/90)

In article <388BL2w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@umn.cs.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
* root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
* >
* > [comments about UUPC 1.07 J]
* >
* > I'm real disappointed.
*
* With that out of the way, why not take a look at Waffle? Not only is it
* easier to set up than UUPC, but it has a newsreader interface built in.
* ...
* use a FOSSIL driver and even lets you use a screen driver (at last! :-).
........^^^^^^
Which is exactly why I _do_not_ use it!!  It _requires_ the [many and violent
expletives deleted] FOSSIL!  And if I put FOSSIL into my system, I can't
run any other comm program (that doesn't use fossil), and can't run Windows,
and can't run a couple other program because (I wish I _could_ figure out
the reason!)
-------------
Ken

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/27/90)

kleonard@gvlv1.gvl.unisys.com (Ken Leonard) writes:

> In article <388BL2w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@umn.cs.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) w
> * use a FOSSIL driver and even lets you use a screen driver (at last! :-).
> ........^^^^^^
> Which is exactly why I _do_not_ use it!!  It _requires_ the [many and violent
> expletives deleted] FOSSIL!  And if I put FOSSIL into my system, I can't
> run any other comm program (that doesn't use fossil), and can't run Windows,
> and can't run a couple other program because (I wish I _could_ figure out
> the reason!)

Perhaps it's too much caffiene, eh, Ken?

Waffle *allows* a FOSSIL driver to be used, but it does NOT require it.
You can use the native serial routines and get along just fine.

I'm curious... FOSSIL support wasn't even added until V1.61; how did you
come to believe it was required?

Personally, I load my FOSSIL before use, and unload it afterward. (I use
BNU)
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | 'I don't see why you people    | Opinions found
    now available at:   | seem to think this is magic... | herein are mine,

gsn@sclcig.uucp (Georg Nikodym) (06/29/90)

In article <388BL2w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@umn.cs.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>root@dogear.UUCP (Bob Kirkpatrick) writes:
>>
>> From here, it looks easier to set up another UNIX system to run uucp instead
>> of trying to run a PC with UUPC. (leastwise, that's my current opinion, and
>> yes, I am considerably calmer than when I went thru my attempts to make it
>> work!)
>>
>> I'm real disappointed.

Yeah, me too.

>With that out of the way, why not take a look at Waffle? Not only is it
>easier to set up than UUPC, but it has a newsreader interface built in.
>UUPC will take a newsfeed, but drops it all in one directory. (not too
>handy if you get more than one group) The current version of Waffle will
>use a FOSSIL driver and even lets you use a screen driver (at last! :-).
>It handles uucp file transfers, as well.

Where does one get Waffle anyway?
--
| Georg S. Nikodym  -  (416) 442-2238                                       |
| Southam Business Information and Communications Group, Don Mills, Ontario |

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (06/30/90)

gsn@sclcig.uucp (Georg Nikodym) writes:

> In article <388BL2w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) w
> >With that out of the way, why not take a look at Waffle?
>
> Where does one get Waffle anyway?

I got it from SIMTEL...
PD2:<MSDOS2.BBS>WAF162.ZIP