[alt.sources.d] wp2latex

Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
the first line of the message:

Archive-name: wp2latex/Part01
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

leres@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (08/11/90)

Peter da Silva writes:
> Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
> in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
> hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
> the first line of the message:

Yes, I think it *really* is.

The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?
It'd be one thing if news software could be configured to require extra
header(s) on a per newsgroup basis but you're talking about something
that has to be manually added.

Personally, I think you should just give it up (and I'm sure you'll
flame me for saying so). Meanwhile, the rest of us will just kick back
and snicker every time you continue your (hopeless) one man crusade by
gracing the net with another "archive-name" posting...

		Craig

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/12/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
>in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
>hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
>the first line of the message:

>Archive-name: wp2latex/Part01

while we're at it: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE add version numbers to the
postings!!! (i.e. wp2latex-1.0) I'm often having a really hard time finding
out what version a given software is (i'm archiving a lot here by topic, not
by newsgroup). since i don't have BSD i can't save the stuff in a directory
named 'wp2latex-posting-of-9-Aug-1990'.....

thanks in advance!!
--
Heiko Blume c/o Diakite   blume@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org    FAX   (+49 30) 882 50 65
Kottbusser Damm 28        blume@netmbx.UUCP           VOICE (+49 30) 691 88 93

In article <6443@helios.ee.lbl.gov> leres@helios.ee.lbl.gov (ucbvax!leres for uucp weenies) writes:
> Peter da Silva writes:
> > Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
> > in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
> > hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
> > the first line of the message:

> Yes, I think it *really* is.

> The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
> alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?

It's not *my* header. It's the standard header on *every* posting in *every*
moderated sources group. It's a de-facto standard for everyone on the net.

> It'd be one thing if news software could be configured to require extra
> header(s) on a per newsgroup basis but you're talking about something
> that has to be manually added.

So does putting a posting into shar format, uuencoding binaries, and so on.

Look at it this way: when you post something to alt.sources you're doing it
because you want people to use your code. You go to the trouble of sharring
it up, splitting it, and so on to try to ensure that people can use it. You
go to the trouble of putting a meaningful subject line so that people can
find it.

And after all that it doesn't get archived because news guys don't have the
time to read and file every sources posting that comes in. Seems pretty
counterproductive to me.
--
NAME: Peter da Silva.   WOLF: `-_-'
PSTN: +1 713 274 5180.         'U`

jef@ace.ee.lbl.gov (Jef Poskanzer) (08/13/90)

In the referenced message, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:
}And after all that it doesn't get archived because news guys don't have the
}time to read and file every sources posting that comes in.

As I pointed out recently, you're wrong about this.  The only archiving
mechanism necessary for alt.sources is compressed numbered article files
with an index of subjects.  And indeed, the only operating FTPable archive
of alt.sources uses precisely this mechanism.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
               Speak softly and carry a terawatt laser.

shurr@cbnews.att.com (Larry A. Shurr) (08/13/90)

}Peter da Silva writes:
}} Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
}} in postings to alt.sources?...

}Yes, I think it *really* is.

Whereas it is in reality no such thing.

}The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
}alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?

Bad enough to bash Peter da Silva, a net contributor, but useless, self-
serving bashing of naive netters contributes nothing to this discussion.

}It'd be one thing if news software could be configured to require extra
}header(s) on a per newsgroup basis but you're talking about something
}that has to be manually added.

Manual, yes, but not difficult to do.  No trouble for any netter once
educated in the practice.  It greatly reduces the amount of work for
those who administer archives of posted materials.  It's not much to
ask in order to assist those who provide this service.

}Personally, I think you should just give it up (and I'm sure you'll
}flame me for saying so). Meanwhile, the rest of us will just kick back
}and snicker every time you continue your (hopeless) one man crusade by
}gracing the net with another "archive-name" posting...

Well, not ALL the rest of us.  Many (most?) probably don't even care.
Others think that those who administer archives deserve a little assist-
ance.  Still others think... well, others think all kinds of things, some
worthwhile and some not.

--
Larry A. Shurr (cbnmva!las@att.ATT.COM or att!cbnmva!las)
The end of the world has been delayed due to a shortage of trumpet players.

In article <6462@helios.ee.lbl.gov> Jef Poskanzer <jef@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
> In the referenced message, peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:
> }And after all that it doesn't get archived because news guys don't have the
> }time to read and file every sources posting that comes in.

> As I pointed out recently, you're wrong about this.  The only archiving
> mechanism necessary for alt.sources is compressed numbered article files
> with an index of subjects.

Well, yes. And a flat file system with numbered files is quite adequate for
any other purpose as well, if you keep a good list of files up to date in
a conventional numbered file. In fact, why use files? Just store data in
numbered blocks and keep an indexed list of block ranges, like Forth does.

Exxagerated, yes. But named files are a lot more convenient.

> And indeed, the only operating FTPable archive
> of alt.sources uses precisely this mechanism.

And the BBS that I run that offers this service uses named files, because
it's more convenient that all archive sites have the same name for a given
file. When there's more than one FTPable archive of alt.sources how will
you refer to a given article? Hey, check out 4278 on well.sf.ca.us! What's
that on cs.vu.nl? Um, I think it's 23Jul90.1475@ai.mit.edu at cs.vu.nl.
What do they call their index?

We do keep an index file with arbitrary file names, but it's a real pain
for our users to download and scan. Not everyone runs at T1 speeds.
--
NAME: Peter da Silva.   WOLF: `-_-'
PSTN: +1 713 274 5180.         'U`

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) (08/14/90)

As quoted from <-Z45SQ2@ggpc2.ferranti.com> by peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva):
+---------------
| In article <6443@helios.ee.lbl.gov> leres@helios.ee.lbl.gov (ucbvax!leres for uucp weenies) writes:
| > Peter da Silva writes:
| > > Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
| > > in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
| > > hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
| > > the first line of the message:
|
| > Yes, I think it *really* is.
|
| > The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
| > alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?
|
| It's not *my* header. It's the standard header on *every* posting in *every*
| moderated sources group. It's a de-facto standard for everyone on the net.
+-^^^^^^^^^-----

alt.sources isn't moderated....

+---------------
| Look at it this way: when you post something to alt.sources you're doing it
| because you want people to use your code. You go to the trouble of sharring
| it up, splitting it, and so on to try to ensure that people can use it. You
| go to the trouble of putting a meaningful subject line so that people can
| find it.
+---------------

They split it because the news software often rejects it otherwise.  They shar
it because the net flames them if they don't.

You wouldn't believe how many submissions I receive that aren't shar'ed, that
don't hve meaningful subject lines (or sometimes any subject lines at all).
And I've received maybe five submissions that included suggested archive names
since the inception of comp.sources.misc, aside from the sub-moderated
Australian postings.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF: KB8JRR/KT on 220 (soon others)
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Delphi: ALLBERY

In article <1990Aug14.003446.19241@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
> As quoted from <-Z45SQ2@ggpc2.ferranti.com> by peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva):
> | It's not *my* header. It's the standard header on *every* posting in *every*
> | moderated sources group. It's a de-facto standard for everyone on the net.

> alt.sources isn't moderated....

Which is why I'm making this request, and trying to pursuade people to
put the header on postings to alt.sources. Heaven knows, some of these
people are first class programmers. It's not that hard, and there's
certainly no good reason to *not* put the header in there.

> They split it because the news software often rejects it otherwise.  They shar
> it because the net flames them if they don't.

Well, consider this a kindler and gentler version of the same thing...
--
NAME: Peter da Silva.   WOLF: `-_-'
PSTN: +1 713 274 5180.         'U`

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) (08/16/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <1990Aug14.003446.19241@NCoast.ORG> allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/KT) writes:
>> alt.sources isn't moderated....
>Which is why I'm making this request, and trying to pursuade people to
>put the header on postings to alt.sources. Heaven knows, some of these
>people are first class programmers. It's not that hard, and there's
>certainly no good reason to *not* put the header in there.

I can't take this any more.  Do you what one has to go through to post
stuff to the net?  (Actually, you probably do.) As the recent author
of the lj2ps program (posted to comp.sources.misc), I have had some
first-hand experience doing this.  Let me tell you, it ain't fun, it
ain't intuitive, and it ain't easy.

Aside from the system dependencies that one has to worry about, there
are quite a few annoying things that one has to do just to get the
program out there.  I had to install a new version of shar just to get
my program easily split into less-than-50k chunks.  Then, after
carefully packaging the stuff up, I unpacked it and recompiled it,
just to make sure all of the packing worked (i.e. I wasn't losing
characters in the shar files).  I did this several times, and I still
messed up my first posting (I forgot about all of the escape
characters in the Test Suite).

What I am trying to point out is that it takes a fair bit of "know
how" to package programs up for the net.  And I am not just a casual
user of USENET.  I have been reading netnews for five years now.  I
have also installed CNews on our machine.  And *I* have a hard time
posting to the net!  I wonder how other less knowledgable users get
through this experience.

About the archive-header issue: Peter, I have read your postings for
quite a while, including much in comp.sys.amiga.  I respect your views
a lot, and will usually read your articles just because you wrote
them.  However, I disagree with current your complaint that people
should be using these special archive-header.  If you want them to use
it, then you must make it *painfully* obvious that it is necessary.
Why do I say this?  Because before you brought it up lately, I had
*never* heard of this archive-header.  And I am not a "casual user."

>> They split it because the news software often rejects it otherwise.  They
>> shar it because the net flames them if they don't.
>Well, consider this a kindler and gentler version of the same thing...

I think what is needed is some document (argh, yet another document!)
stating all the stuff that one needs to go through to post programs to
the net.  And it needs to be put someplace very obvious, so everyone
knows it exists and has access to it when they want to post programs
to be shared.

As it stands now, posting software to the net is a big
pain-in-the-ass.  It is certainly not an experience that I want to go
through again soon.  If we want more people to post more useful stuff
to the net, we need to make it much easier to do so (and not
*harder*).  Complaining about yet-another-obscure-header is not
helping.  If posting software to the net becomes any harder, the
authors of the programs may not distribute just because it is a
time-consuming and frustrating task to actually get the software out
on the USENET.

--
Christopher Lishka 608-262-4485  "Dad, don't give in to mob mentality!"
Wisconsin State Lab. of Hygiene                                -- Bart Simpson

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/17/90)

christopher lishka complains (quite rightly) that posting a large
piece of source code to the net and satisfying everyone is hard.
(even if the code works perfectly).  shar formats, archive header
information, etc are all problematic.

alt.sources is entirely samizdat, you get no help from nobody.  If
you have something you want to share and it's finished and it can
wait a few days, send it to comp.sources.misc (if it's smallish)
or comp.sources.unix (if it's biggish or brilliant).  It might
take a little while.  Brandon and Rich are pro's at this, they know
how to deal with 40 part mixed text and binary horrors, so anything
you throw at them they can shar.

there are a number of other ways of distributing things.  find an ftp
site that will take your works; comp.archives or the Granrose list are
good candidates.  Better yet, find an FTP site that also has anonymous
UUCP or mail server access so that you can tell everyone who asks how
to get it.  bitnet listserv's might be appropriate too for some if
they're locally handy.  If you announce your new software in any of
over a hundred newsgroups, I'll probably find it and mention it to
comp.archives.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives.

In article <1990Aug16.151010.17925@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu> lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
> I can't take this any more.  Do you what one has to go through to post
> stuff to the net?  (Actually, you probably do.)

Yep. I moderated a sources group for a while.

> Let me tell you, it ain't fun, it ain't intuitive, and it ain't easy.
> ...before you brought it up lately, I had
> *never* heard of this archive-header.  And I am not a "casual user."

OK, I'll start a FAQ for alt.sources. Send suggestions for topics to
peter@hackercorp.com. I don't have internet access, so I'll have to take
people's word on what archive sites exist and where the latest shar can
be gotten. Let's see, what should be in here:

	What alt.sources is for...
	What alt.sources.d is for...
	What alt.sources.index is for...
	What other periodic postings to alt.sources are...
	Where to get uuencode/uudecode/cshar/etc...
	How big to make chunks of source code...
	How a posting should be formatted...
	What headers should be there...

This last is more than just "Archive-name:", if you're posting source
people are more likely to see it if it isn't titled "Re: problems with
fucalc 2.3".

	What else?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.   'U`

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (08/18/90)

In the referenced message, peter@hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:
}OK, I'll start a FAQ for alt.sources.

You are not qualified to do this for at least two reasons.  One, you
are not on the Internet, so as you said your ability to verify
information in a timely fashion is crippled.  This is a minor point; if
there was no one else willing to do it, and if there were no other
reasons you shouldn't do it, then it would be fine.  But there are
others willing, and there are other reasons.  Specifically, you are not
impartial.

It's fine to have opinions, even wrong ones.  But a FAQ posting must
represent either objective facts or general consensus.  Your opinions
on the Archive-Name header are neither, and codifying them into
official rules, as you propose to do, would be an abuse of trust.

A FAQ posting for alt.sources is a good idea, which I have supported
for a long time.  But by your own words you are not the person to do
it.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
             Contains no artificial sweeteners or colors.

sja2@cbnewsd.att.com (steve.j.alesch) (08/18/90)

> OK, I'll start a FAQ for alt.sources. Send suggestions for topics to
> peter@hackercorp.com. I don't have internet access, so I'll have to take
> people's word on what archive sites exist and where the latest shar can
> be gotten. Let's see, what should be in here:
>
>         What alt.sources is for...
>         What alt.sources.d is for...
>         What alt.sources.index is for...
>         What other periodic postings to alt.sources are...
>         Where to get uuencode/uudecode/cshar/etc...
>         How big to make chunks of source code...
>         How a posting should be formatted...
>         What headers should be there...
>
> This last is more than just "Archive-name:", if you're posting source
> people are more likely to see it if it isn't titled "Re: problems with
> fucalc 2.3".
>
>         What else?

How about a write-up for authors regarding how to create patches and
and also a write-up on how one applies patches.
--
Steve Alesch, AT&T Bell Labs, ...!att!ihlpm!sja, (708)713-4188

In article <19599@well.sf.ca.us> Jef Poskanzer <jef@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
> You are not qualified to do this for at least two reasons.  One, you
> are not on the Internet, so as you said your ability to verify
> information in a timely fashion is crippled.

You have a point here.

> This is a minor point; if
> there was no one else willing to do it, and if there were no other
> reasons you shouldn't do it, then it would be fine.  But there are
> others willing,

So where the hell are they? Nobody else has offered.

> and there are other reasons.  Specifically, you are not
> impartial.

Do you mean that my views don't co-incide with yours. That's what this
particular buzz phrase usually means.

Nobody, including Mr. Jef "Automatic Alt.sources Email Flamer" is impartial.
The question is whether their private axes are going to get in the way. And
the only way to find that out in this case is to see what I come up with and
see if it's rational, impartial, and reliable.

If you're willing to do the job, do it.

If you're not, get out of the way.

> It's fine to have opinions, even wrong ones.  But a FAQ posting must
> represent either objective facts or general consensus. Your opinions
> on the Archive-Name header are neither, and codifying them into
> official rules, as you propose to do, would be an abuse of trust.

Well, they're already existing practice in (a) all moderated sources groups
(including alt.sources.amiga), (b) a reasonable percentage of actual
alt.sources postings, and (c) existing source-group archiving software.

For that matter, your own position that noting but sources should be posted
to alt.sources (which, by the way, I agree with) is not that much better
adhered to.

Besides, since when is anything in "alt" "official"? All I propose to do
is collect suggestions, combine them into a reasonably coherent document,
and post it periodically.

> A FAQ posting for alt.sources is a good idea, which I have supported
> for a long time.  But by your own words you are not the person to do
> it.

If not me, who? If not now, when?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (08/19/90)

In article <19599@well.sf.ca.us> Jef Poskanzer <jef@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
>In the referenced message, peter@hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:
>}OK, I'll start a FAQ for alt.sources.
>
>You are not qualified to do this for at least two reasons.  One, you
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>are not on the Internet, so as you said your ability to verify
>information in a timely fashion is crippled.  This is a minor point; if
                                    ^^^^^^^^ huh?!!      ^^^^^ and spurious
>Specifically, you are not impartial.

You are the one who's whining over a good idea, Bonzo.
Go cry to Momma; don't do it here.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare   gatech!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
minds." -- Albert Einstein

tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) (08/20/90)

It can be hard to find net participants who care enough to keep track of
what's going on without having any potentially controversial opinions.
I think it's better to err on the side of more information rather than
to try and impose litmus tests on a potential information provider.  If
someone wants to start an FAQ here, let 'em.  If the contents are an
egregious mishmash, the membership will make its feelings known quickly
enough.

Ideally the contents of an FAQ posting are jointly arrived at and
cooperatively updated to reflect current knowledge.  No one person's
opinions, including the administrator's, should predominate.  If the
administrator has a particular hobbyhorse (like Archive-Header) he wants
included in the FAQ, fine, but if significant member disagreement exists
on the point, that should be mentioned too.

--
Technology is a way of organizing       '   '     Tom Neff
the universe so that man doesn't have    '   '    tneff@bfmny0.BFM.COM

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (08/20/90)

In the referenced message, peter@sugar.hackercorp.com (Peter da Silva) wrote:
}Nobody, including Mr. Jef "Automatic Alt.sources Email Flamer" is impartial.
}The question is whether their private axes are going to get in the way.

Yes, that is what I mean by impartial.  As I said, it is fine to have
opinions.  It is not fine to abuse a position of trust in the furtherance
of those opinions.

}And
}the only way to find that out in this case is to see what I come up with and
}see if it's rational, impartial, and reliable.

You posted a list of things you thought should go in the FAQ list.  One
of them was not impartial.

}If you're willing to do the job, do it.
}If you're not, get out of the way.

I already manage three FAQ postings, soon to be four.  This is too many
for one person, and I would be glad to hand them off to anyone who is
qualified.  Conflicts of interest have already come up, in my own
perhaps overly picky opinion.  Since I am not specially qualified to
do alt.sources, I won't.

However, responses of the form "if you won't do it then shut up" are
obnoxious and boring.  I have made a valid objection.  Answer it, or
shut up.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {ucbvax, apple, hplabs}!well!jef
         "It is an honor to be asked to help." -- Suzie Gomez

In article <19623@well.sf.ca.us> Jef Poskanzer <jef@well.sf.ca.us> writes:
> You posted a list of things you thought should go in the FAQ list.  One
> of them was not impartial.

For our viewers who have tuned into this fun-filled exchange late, I believe
that all source postings should have an archive-name header, just like in the
moderated groups. A fair number already do.

I included a reference to this in my list of proposed topics in an alt.sources
FAQ posting. I also solicited feedback... if it's a taboo subject, I'll be
happy to drop it. So far, though, only one person has complained.

> However, responses of the form "if you won't do it then shut up" are
> obnoxious and boring.  I have made a valid objection.  Answer it, or
> shut up.

You deleted the portion of my message where I supported this particular
item. Might I assume, then, that your response is just more rhetoric? It's
pretty poor form to complain about my not performing a certain action in
response to a message in which I did that very thing.

In addition, where are all these other eager volunteers you were talking about?
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
<peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>.

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/22/90)

peter@ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Which is why I'm making this request, and trying to pursuade people to
>put the header on postings to alt.sources.

an *please* add version numbers to the sources (README) *and* the subject !!
btw: what version is wp2latex? the rcsid in wp2latex says 2.0, but what does
rcs know! (did the author check out the source just before posting?)

have mercy (with people running archives) !
--

src@scuzzy.mbx.sub.org (Heiko Blume) (08/23/90)

lishka@uwslh.slh.wisc.edu (a.k.a. Chri) writes:
>I think what is needed is some document (argh, yet another document!)
>stating all the stuff that one needs to go through to post programs to
>the net.  And it needs to be put someplace very obvious, so everyone
>knows it exists and has access to it when they want to post programs
>to be shared.

that sound like a topic for a monthly faq posting :-) however, *i* would
prefer a program (or a feature of {nn,rn,trn,whatever}) ! something like
:submit (nn style here) for moderated groups and/or :postdir that asks
for the directory where the sources are. that way we could also solve the
header problem.