[alt.sources.d] Elvis and termcap

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/27/90)

I've just been trying to compile the Elvis editor posted in alt.sources.
The Turbo C project file specifies several modules in a termcap
subdirectory, and the curses.c module references them. These modules
weren't in the distribution.

Before I go off re-inventing the wheel, can someone point me to a source
for these functions? They are: tgetnum, tgetstr, tgetent, tputs, tgoto
and tgetflag.

Thanks in advance!
--
    Roy M. Silvernail   | #include <stdio.h>                 | Does virtual
    now available at:   | main(){                            | reality need

kirkenda@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) (08/28/90)

In article <1VXio1w162w@cybrspc> cybrspc!roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>I've just been trying to compile the Elvis editor posted in alt.sources.
>The Turbo C project file specifies several modules in a termcap
>subdirectory, and the curses.c module references them. These modules
>weren't in the distribution.
>
>Before I go off re-inventing the wheel, can someone point me to a source
>for these functions? They are: tgetnum, tgetstr, tgetent, tputs, tgoto
>and tgetflag.

Oops.  Sorry about that.  The "Elvis.prj" file for Turbo-C, and the "Elvis.lnk"
file for MSC 5.1, are both a little out of date.  They both refer to a complete
termcap library, but they're supposed to refer to "tinytcap.c".  Tinytcap
emulates termcap, but only for TERM=ansi and TERM=nansi.  (I've been told
that TERM=nansi also works with FANSI.SYS and NNANSI.SYS as well.)

Also, it should be compiled in the medium or large memory model.
Steve Kirkendall    kirkenda@cs.pdx.edu    uunet!tektronix!psueea!eecs!kirkenda

roy@cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) (08/29/90)

kirkenda@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Steve Kirkendall) writes:

> Oops.  Sorry about that.  The "Elvis.prj" file for Turbo-C, and the "Elvis.ln
> file for MSC 5.1, are both a little out of date.  They both refer to a comple
> termcap library, but they're supposed to refer to "tinytcap.c".

Thanks. I got it running now.

> Also, it should be compiled in the medium or large memory model.

Large, I found out last night. Medium gives errors in link under TC 2.0
--
Roy M. Silvernail |+|  roy%cybrspc@cs.umn.edu  |+| #define opinions ALL_MINE;
main(){float x=1;x=x/50;printf("It's only $%.2f, but it's my $%.2f!\n",x,x);}

chad@anasaz.UUCP (Chad R. Larson) (08/31/90)

I was unable to build a debugging version of elvis on our Pyramid, which
is running OSx5.0d as shipped.  The problem was a redefinition of the
endwin function.

Elvis uses it's own version of curses, but expects to be able to use the
low-level terminfo (or termcap) functions.  The Pyramid curses support
does not segregate those two libraries.

Has anyone dumped the elvis curses and linked against the full SysVr3
curses package?  Are the like-named functions interchangable?

Otherwise, I guess I'll have to use ar(1M) to extract my own low-level
library.

Great package though!  I've been using it for a couple of days now instead
of *real* vi, just to get a feel of where it differs.  Not much!
	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson          ...{mcdphx,asuvax}!anasaz!chad or chad@anasaz.UUCP
Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020