[alt.sources.d] MS/DOS GIF viewer source.

dougc@agora.uucp (Doug Carter) (10/01/90)

Greetings,

I am looking for some MS/DOS GIF viewer source code. I have scanned all of the
possible newsgroups for such, with no success. I got a new vga adapter that
does not work with the viewer I currently have. The adapter has a Trident 8800
chip set. If there are no sources available, does anyone know of a GIF viewer
that supports the Trident 8800 chip set?

Thanks, Doug.

Doug Carter              |   The sun is the same in the relative way, but your
dougc@agora.hf.intel.com | older. Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

woan@peyote.cactus.org (Ronald S. Woan) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep30.225332.2322@agora.uucp>, dougc@agora.uucp (Doug Carter) writes:
> I am looking for some MS/DOS GIF viewer source code. I have scanned all of the
> possible newsgroups for such, with no success. I got a new vga adapter that
> does not work with the viewer I currently have. The adapter has a Trident 8800
> chip set. If there are no sources available, does anyone know of a GIF viewer
> that supports the Trident 8800 chip set?

If you don't need source code than vpic is for you; it supports
all of the high res modes of the Trident chipset... Available on
Compuserve, Simtel 20, and a bunch of anon ftp sites...

					Ron

+ Ronald S. Woan       woan@peyote.cactus.org or woan%austin@iinus1.ibm.com +
+ othernet                          Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +

nkraft@crash.cts.com (Norman Kraft) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Sep30.225332.2322@agora.uucp> dougc@agora.uucp (Doug Carter) writes:

>If there are no sources available, does anyone know of a GIF viewer
>that supports the Trident 8800 chip set?

I have the Trident 8800 chip set on my VGA card at home, and I find the
true Compuserve CSHOW (version 8... something or other) works just fine
for most purposes. It won't show GIF's in the extended Trident modes,
but for the usual EGA and VGA modes, it works just fine. If you can't
get a copy, let me know and we'll work something out...

Norman R. Kraft	                           "Things should be as simple
Director, Software Development              as possible, but not simpler."
Postal Buddy Corporation, San Diego, CA     - Albert Einstein
INET nkraft@crash.cts.com
UUCP {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!nkraft   Usual disclaimer applies...

nbladt@aut.UUCP (Norbert Bladt) (10/09/90)

nkraft@crash.cts.com (Norman Kraft) writes:

>In article <1990Sep30.225332.2322@agora.uucp> dougc@agora.uucp (Doug Carter) writes:

>>If there are no sources available, does anyone know of a GIF viewer
>>that supports the Trident 8800 chip set?

>I have the Trident 8800 chip set on my VGA card at home, and I find the
>true Compuserve CSHOW (version 8... something or other) works just fine
>for most purposes. It won't show GIF's in the extended Trident modes,
>but for the usual EGA and VGA modes, it works just fine. If you can't
That is NOT true. My version (8.01B) lets you configure your driver.
I am using it on my Trident VGA board (8800 chipset) even in the extended
modes. And it is fast compared to other GIF viewers which are using the
BIOS to display pictures in extended modes.
The configuration program is called "cshowi". It should come with the
archive.

[stuff deleted].

There is even a screen show program: cshows. Try it, too.
Have fun using it and watching the GIF pictures.

Norbert Bladt.
--
Please use this path as return address. DON'T USE THE RETURN PATH IN THE HEADER
Norbert Bladt, Ascom Autelca AG, Worbstr. 201, CH-3073 Guemligen, Switzerland