[alt.sources.d] calvin and hobbes bitmaps

jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) (11/30/90)

Thanks for the Calvin and Hobbes bitmaps. However, it would nice if the
poster told us who to view or use them.

--
j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) (12/01/90)

In article <1990Nov30.135029.18685@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,
jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
> Thanks for the Calvin and Hobbes bitmaps. However, it would nice if the
> poster told us who to view or use them.

NOTE: I was not the poster, but I can help out here.

All the Calvin & Hobbes images were in X Bitmap format, which is a
marvelously inefficient format (at least they were compressed :-).  This
format is recognized by the programs xloadimage and xv, and the PBM
library.  File in this format are also C include files, and can be included
in C programs that communicate with X servers (or other appropriate
graphics devices).  All images were bitmaps (B/W), some used 4x4 dithering.

Several of the files contained mail header information that had to be
stripped out.  The hobbes cursor file contained two files, and had to be
split, but it was all pretty obvious (a plain text editor was sufficient
for this work).

Cheers,

-Glenn-

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn@bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street

hagins@gamecock.rtp.dg.com (Jody Hagins) (12/02/90)

In article <1990Nov30.135029.18685@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>, jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
|> Thanks for the Calvin and Hobbes bitmaps. However, it would nice if the
|> poster told us who to view or use them.
|>
|> --
|> j                               |%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
|>                                 |%|UUCP: uunet!mailrus!sharkey!dale1!jhl
|> 				|%|  or: uunet!frith!dale1!jhl
|> Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl@frith.egr.msu.edu

I haven't had any probelms viewing them via X11

I think they all (i know most) are X11 bitmaps.

--

Jody Hagins
hagins@dg-rtp.dg.com

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (12/02/90)

glenn@huxley.huxley.bitstream.com (Glenn P. Parker) writes:

}In article <1990Nov30.135029.18685@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,
}jhl@frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
}> Thanks for the Calvin and Hobbes bitmaps. However, it would nice if the
}> poster told us who to view or use them.

}NOTE: I was not the poster, but I can help out here.

}All the Calvin & Hobbes images were in X Bitmap format, which is a
}marvelously inefficient format (at least they were compressed :-).  This
}format is recognized by the programs xloadimage and xv, and the PBM
}library. ...

And unless there was some nearly-unprecedented miracle on usenet
[Ididn't actually mess with the postings so I don' know], they were
probably copyright violations, one and all.

  /Bernie\

rss@doe.carleton.ca (Roger Shum) (12/05/90)

Only the first two parts arrived at my sites. Are part 3 and part 4 exist ?
If so, can some kind soul please send me a copy!
Thank in advance!

Roger
rss@doe.carleton.ca