[alt.sources.d] Program to set clock to NBS time

ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) (12/29/90)

jmc@teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) writes:

>I am posting this for a friend from the SCO Mailing List who does not
>have access to this newsgroup (Joe Huffman). Joe was responding to the
>following request from another party on the mailing list.  The
>following is the text of Joe's original posting and the uuencoded and
>compressed source for nbs_time.c which sets the local computer time to
>the time supplied by a dial-up connection to a Time Standards system.

Out of curiosity, I dialed the number (+1 202 653 0351) contained
in the source and got the following sent to my terminal at 1200 bps:

     48253 362 214838 UTC
     *
     48253 362 214839 UTC
     *
     48253 362 214840 UTC

   [... etc. at one second intervals ]

The question is:  does anyone know of a comparable service here on
the European continent?  Maybe even here in Germany?

I know there are radio receivers which do the same, but you need
extra equipment.  nbs_time.c just requires a modem which we have
anyway...

Thanks in advance,

Ed

      Ed Braaten           |  "... Man looks at the outward appearance,
Work: ed@de.intel.com      |  but the Lord looks at the heart."
Home: ed@dah.de.intel.com  |                        1 Samuel 16:7b
<
< Out of curiosity, I dialed the number (+1 202 653 0351) contained
< in the source and got the following sent to my terminal at 1200 bps:
<
<      48253 362 214838 UTC
<      *
<      48253 362 214839 UTC
<      *
<      48253 362 214840 UTC
<
<    [... etc. at one second intervals ]
<
< The question is:  does anyone know of a comparable service here on
< the European continent?  Maybe even here in Germany?
<
< [...]

I have some more questions about this service:

Who is behind this service (U. S. Naval Observatory)?
Is it connected to an atomic clock?
What is the first number for (48253)?
What does UTC stands for (Universal Coordinated Time)?
If we dial from Europe, what is the expected delay?

And yes, it would be nice to have a similar service here in Europe.

Thanks for any help!
--
                                                                      __
 Miguel Casteleiro at                                            __  ///

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (12/31/90)

In article <4042@dah.sub.org>, ed@dah.sub.org (Ed Braaten) writes:
> jmc@teqsoft.UUCP (Jack Cloninger) writes:
>
>>I am posting this for a friend from the SCO Mailing List who does not
>>have access to this newsgroup (Joe Huffman). Joe was responding to the
>>following request from another party on the mailing list.  The
>>following is the text of Joe's original posting and the uuencoded and
>>compressed source for nbs_time.c which sets the local computer time to
>>the time supplied by a dial-up connection to a Time Standards system.
>
> Out of curiosity, I dialed the number (+1 202 653 0351) contained
> in the source and got the following sent to my terminal at 1200 bps:
>
>      48253 362 214838 UTC
>      *
>      48253 362 214839 UTC
>      *
>      48253 362 214840 UTC
>
>    [... etc. at one second intervals ]
>
> The question is:  does anyone know of a comparable service here on
> the European continent?  Maybe even here in Germany?

     48253 362 214840 UTC
       |    |    |
       |    |    + Current GMT time
       |    |
       |    + Day of the year number (28 DEC)

       + Number of days past 17 Nov 1858 (a time keeping standard but I can't
		remember why right now)

Earle
             ____ ____    ___
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2@dayton.saic.com             uucp: dayvb!fac2

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR) (01/01/91)

As quoted from <1990Dec30.233403.28@eagle.inesc.pt> by jmc@eagle.inesc.pt (Miguel Casteleiro):
+---------------
| Who is behind this service (U. S. Naval Observatory)?
| Is it connected to an atomic clock?
| What is the first number for (48253)?
| What does UTC stands for (Universal Coordinated Time)?
| And yes, it would be nice to have a similar service here in Europe.
+---------------

The U.S. Naval Observatory runs this service, and yes, it's driven by an
atomic clock.

My guess is the first number is a "Julian date" of some sort; that is, days
since some "epoch" time.  Not having a decent date calculator around, I can't
sanity-check by trying to figure day 1 (the calendar we use fits years well
but is worthless for day calculations...)  However, it looks to be sometime
around 1858, for what it's worth.

Yes, UTC is Coordinated Universal Time (as usual, the abbreviation is
scrambled --- I suspect it came out of Geneva).

While I don't have any details, many X.25 services in Europe and BT's X.25 in
England have similar services.  Ask around.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN