[alt.sources.d] WWV vs. The Naval Observatory Clock -- Who's Right ?

root@petro.UUCP (Petty System God) (12/28/90)

There have been several programs posted recently to allow one to have
his system call the Naval Observatory clock and have the time set
all without human intervention.  Having decided that this is a good
idea I coerced some code into working only to discover that there
appears to be a discrepancy between the time reported by WWV and
that reported by the dial up number at the Naval Observatory.  The
difference is about 12 seconds which I consider significant since both
these guys are supposed to be time standards and should do better than
my Timex.  I noticed, after spending a couple of hours hacking code to
call the Naval Observatory and set the clock, that the time reported by
the Naval Observatory was not the time I expected.  I was expecting something
close to the drumming that WWV was producing in the corner but to my surprise
the Naval Observatory was reporting time about 12 seconds behind WWV.
To confirm the observation I called back the Naval Observatory with cu and
let it report while WWV was reporting over the shortwave -- sure enough when
WWV hit 124900 the Naval Observatory was reporting about 124848.

OK, I give up, who's right ?

----
Gilbert B. Andreen  -  bruce@petro.UUCP
cs.utexas.edu!swrinde!petro!bruce

bob@rel.mi.org (Bob Leffler) (12/29/90)

In article <63354@petro.UUCP> root@petro.UUCP (Petty System God) writes:
>the Naval Observatory was reporting time about 12 seconds behind WWV.
>To confirm the observation I called back the Naval Observatory with cu and
>let it report while WWV was reporting over the shortwave -- sure enough when
>WWV hit 124900 the Naval Observatory was reporting about 124848.

My first guess for the difference is the delay intransmitting the data via
the different transports.  i.e.  How long does it for the data to transmit
through the numberous switches, land lines, satelites, etc to reach your
modem?  I'm sure that it is different than shortwave.

bob

--
Bob Leffler, (bob@rel.mi.org), (313) 696-2479               Opinions expressed
Electronic Data Systems, GMC Truck SBU                      may not be those

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (12/29/90)

In article <63354@petro.UUCP> root@petro.UUCP (Petty System God) writes:

>... the Naval Observatory was reporting time about 12 seconds behind WWV.
>OK, I give up, who's right ?

Most assuredly it is WWV.  Certainly propagation through the
phone network is no 12 seconds, so the Naval Observatory time
must be just plain wrong.  The WWV time over radio is absolutely
correct (some will disagree, but really, what's a few
femtoseconds among time freaks?).  The propagation delay is a
factor, but my clock ticks are 60HZ :-).

Warren Tucker                     emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
"I was 35 years old before I knew a pie was meant to be eaten." - Moe Howard

barry@tanstaafl.edgar.Mn.Org (barry) (01/01/91)

root@petro.UUCP (Petty System God) writes:
>  [ confusion as to who is correct deleted... ]
>
> ...the Naval Observatory was reporting time about 12 seconds behind WWV.
> To confirm the observation I called back the Naval Observatory with cu and
> let it report while WWV was reporting over the shortwave -- sure enough when
> WWV hit 124900 the Naval Observatory was reporting about 124848.
>
> OK, I give up, who's right ?
>
> ----
> Gilbert B. Andreen  -  bruce@petro.UUCP

	They both are.  By Act of Congress the following relationships
	are true  F != 1 / T  and  T != 1/F.

	In its great wisdom Congress has defined as part of each
	organization's mission the following.  That the Bureau of Standards
	be responsible for keeping the frequency standard, and the
	Naval Observatory is responsible for keeping the correct time.

	Of course the scientists at both organizations understand the
	physics and mathematics of the situation.  Something that
	Congress does not (what does reality have to do with Congress
	anyway, have you ever watched C-SPAN? [0.5 :-) ] ) They
	achieve their mission the following way.  The NBS maintains
	radio stations WWV WWVH and WWVB.  These time broadcasts are
	synchonized to the Master Atomic Clock in Boulder CO.  An
	Atomic Clock BTW is a container of Cessium Gases which has the
	proportions to maintain resonance.  This is a very accurate
	frequency source for long intervals, but things like air
	pressure variations (such as people talking in the room)
	make minute changes in the cavity dimensions which will affect
	frequency stability.  This gives a very poor short term
	frequency standard.  The output of the Cessium Cavity is
	phase-locked to a 10 Mhz crystal oscilator which has good short
	term accuracy, but poor long term accuracy.  This 10 Mhz
	oscilator then drives a rather conventional clock that is
	broadcast on WWV/WWVH/WWVB.  Each of these clocks are
	synchronized, with propagation delay accounted for for both
	the voice and data portions.  WWVB sends out time in BCD on
	60Khz (via power drops of 10dB) WWV and WWVH send out not
	only the time in voice (Male for WWV Female for WWVH) but
	also in BCD via a 100Hz sub-carrier.  In addition to the
	time the current UT1 and UT2 in milliseconds are broadcast.

	Once a year, (I believe in the spring)  at the Naval Observatory
	a special telescope with a pinpoint aperature is uncovered.
	When a particular star lines up exactly with this telescope a
	signal is sent to the NBS over a dedicated circuit.  This circuit
	has a known path length, and an exact propigation delay.  The
	signal marks midnight of the siderial year.  The propigation
	delay is added to the signal and the Master Time Clock is sync'ed
	to X miliseconds after midnight (where X is the propigation delay)
	The current values of UT1 and UT2 are updated, and WWV is
	now set by the Naval Observatory.  Note that the Master Atomic
	Clock is not a clock but a very accurate (1 part in 10 ** -12)
	"crystal" oscilator.  The Master Time Clock is a digitally
	sync'ed tape deck (or so I've been told).

	The Naval Observatory in Wahington DC has an Atomic Clock
	sync'ed to the NBS Master Atomic Clock in Boulder CO.  So what
	happend to the 12 Seconds, well propigation delay on the
	phone line added some to that, then there was the time sharing
	system or whatever you access at the Naval Observatory, its
	processing time, and other things.  Still 12 seconds seem to
	be excessive.  The correct answer acording to Congress is the
	Naval Observatory, but the real answer is WWV is right.  If
	you want to load the correct time into your system, you may
	want to do what I do.  Heathkit makes a clock that recieves the
	WWV signals in BCD and decodes them.  The clock has an RS-232
	connector, and so I just read it when I want to set the time.

	I have no other connection with Heath other than a long time
	user.  Note this clock is somewhat expensive for personal
	use, but it is neat to have around, when the power goes out
	and comes back, I have the correct time in 4 minutes. Also,
	the NBS has a bit that they send for Daylight Savings in
	effect, so that is also covered.  The accuracy is +/- 250
	miliseconds.  You can save a little money by building it
	yourself.  It will be a challenge to a 1st time kit builder,
	but if you go slow, and don't rush you'll do fine. Hope
	this helps.
Barry Berg			UUCP:    barry@tanstaafl.edgar.mn.org
-- Too much of the world is run on the theory you don't need road
   manners if you are a five-ton truck. --

	#include <std.disclaimer>
 			-30-  {sometimes older ;-) }