[alt.sources.d] Please describe your sources

pld@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul Dineen) (03/16/91)

> For example, what the hell is Oneko and kit 2.0?

 Oneko is a terminally cute toy.

 Oneko puts a small, animated cat image on your screen and makes the cat
 chase your mouse pointer around the screen.  When it's on top of the mouse
 it's sleeping (with "Z"s moving above its head).  When you move the mouse
 it wakes up in alarm and chases it.  When it catches the mouse, the cat
 scratches, yawns, and falls black to sleep.

otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) (03/18/91)

In article <8310001@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> pld@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul Dineen) writes:
    Oneko is a terminally cute toy.

    Oneko puts a small, animated cat image on your screen and makes the cat
    chase your mouse pointer around the screen.  When it's on top of the mouse
    it's sleeping (with "Z"s moving above its head).  When you move the mouse
    it wakes up in alarm and chases it.  When it catches the mouse, the cat
    scratches, yawns, and falls black to sleep.

You forgot to mention a rather important point: if you move the mouse veeerry
carefully, you won't wake Oneko up (neko = cat in japanese, don't know what
this o- prefix is)... also, the mouse cursor really turns into a mouse when
Oneko is near.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <otto@jyu.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 41 613 847, BBS: +358 41 211 562 (USR HST/V.32, 24h/d)   */

erik@srava.sra.co.jp (Erik M. van der Poel) (03/18/91)

> You forgot to mention a rather important point: if you move the mouse veeerry
> carefully, you won't wake Oneko up (neko = cat in japanese, don't know what
> this o- prefix is)

A long time ago, someone created xclock (to run in a rectangular X
window), and then someone created oclock, when X started to support
non-rectangular windows (the SHAPE extension).

I think the `neko' program first appeared on the Macintosh, and was then
ported to X, and therefore called xneko, but it ran around in a
rectangular window. Now it uses the SHAPE extension of course, so maybe
that's why they called it oneko.

It's also a bit of a pun since the prefix o- can be put in front of many
Japanese words to make them "polite" ("honorable", or whatever).
-
--
Erik M. van der Poel                                      erik@sra.co.jp
Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan     TEL +81-3-3234-2692

mark@infocomm.com (03/18/91)

In article <OTTO.91Mar17210433@tukki.jyu.fi>, otto@tukki.jyu.fi (Otto J. Makela) writes:
> In article <8310001@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM> pld@hpfcso.FC.HP.COM (Paul Dineen) writes:
>     Oneko is a terminally cute toy.
>
>     Oneko puts a small, animated cat image on your screen and makes the cat
>     chase your mouse pointer around the screen.  When it's on top of the mouse
>     it's sleeping (with "Z"s moving above its head).  When you move the mouse
>     it wakes up in alarm and chases it.  When it catches the mouse, the cat
>     scratches, yawns, and falls black to sleep.

Well, Once I knew what the content of this "Oneko" stuff was, I was actually
interested in it.  The problem is that some people at our site, (according to
our policy of most of us consider reasonable), noticed a uuencoded posting to
alt.sources, without ANY description, and immediately deleted this posting
from our local news tree.

We might not be the only site that did this, so a new posting of that
submission might be in order, but if we were the only stupid ones, I'd
personally appreciate getting this by E-mail.

Thanks.
--
Mark Pizzolato - INFO COMM Computer Consulting, Redwood City, Ca
PHONE:	(415)369-9366	UUCP:  decwrl!infopiz!mark or uunet!lupine!infopiz!mark