[alt.sources.d] zsh2.00.01 available

pf@learning.siemens.com (Paul Falstad) (04/25/91)

zsh2.00.01 is now available for anonymous FTP from princeton.edu
(128.112.12.1) as "/pub/zsh/zsh2.00.01.tar.Z".  There is a set of patches
at "/pub/zsh/zsh00-01.patch.Z".  The patches may also appear on
comp.sources.misc soon.

Here is part of the README for zsh 2.00.01:

---
zsh is free software.  See the file COPYING for copying permission.

This is zsh 2.00.01.

To get this shell running, cd into the src directory and type
"buildzsh".  I tested it on the following machines, where it compiled
just by running this script:

Sun SPARCServer 4/490 running SunOS 4.1.1
Sun 3/60C running SunOS 4.1.1
NeXTstation running Mach 2.0
SGI-4D/25 running IRIX 3.3.1
hp9000 running BSD 4.3
DECSystem-5000 running ULTRIX 4.0

Modification history:

00-01:
   - %M and %m now work as documented.
   - bad things no longer happen if COLUMNS is set to 0
   - SH_WORD_SPLIT and ${=foo} now work
   - the default value of WORDCHARS includes more characters
   - if the cursor is at the end of the line, vi-cmd-mode
     moves it back one position.
   - delete-char now acts more like x in vi.
   - a "prompt" parameter has been added, which is equivalent to
     PROMPT and PS1.
   - zsh no longer expands symbolic links.  The CHASELINKS option
     has been provided to get the old behavior.
   - history searches ignore lines that are the same as the line
     in the buffer.
   - you can get a literal ! in your prompt now with \!.
   - -z, -n, and != in [[ ... ]] expressions work.
   - the shell no longer hangs when inputting "[[ ]\n"
   - the "menu-complete" and "menu-expand-or-complete" bindings have
     been added.
   - menu-complete no longer beeps.
   - reverse-menu-complete no longer dumps core if it gets called before
     a normal completion.
   - typeahead lines are no longer thrown away on machines with sgttyb.
   - !foo no longer matches lines with 'foo' in them (not at the beginning)
   - kill -9 % no longer kills the shell
   - no longer sources .zshrc from shell scripts or with -c
   - no longer needs limits.h, strtol
   - exporting HOSTTYPE, etc. works
   - fixed serious bugs related to . in path
   - numbers in weird bases now work

Paul Falstad, pfalstad@phoenix.princeton.edu | 10 PRINT "PRINCETON CS"
[Your blood pressure just went up.]          | 20 GOTO 10
Princeton University would like to apologize to everyone for this article.

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (04/26/91)

pf@learning.siemens.com (Paul Falstad) writes:

>zsh2.00.01 is now available for anonymous FTP from princeton.edu
>(128.112.12.1) as "/pub/zsh/zsh2.00.01.tar.Z".  There is a set of patches
>at "/pub/zsh/zsh00-01.patch.Z".  The patches may also appear on
>comp.sources.misc soon.

>Paul Falstad, pfalstad@phoenix.princeton.edu | 10 PRINT "PRINCETON CS"
>[Your blood pressure just went up.]          | 20 GOTO 10
>Princeton University would like to apologize to everyone for this article.

This shell sounds great.  But I couldn't build it successfully on my
machine (SCO XENIX 2.3.3 with GCC) and don't have the time to figure
out what changes are necessary.  Has anyone had the time or inclination
to make it work on XENIX?  If so, please let me (and others, I'm sure)
know!
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :                         itkin@Transact.COM                                 :