[rec.music.gaffa] KopyrighTs

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/22/89)

Really-From: robinson@islnds.dec.com

>Really-From: henrik@eddie.MIT.EDU (Larry DeLuca @ The Bandykin Server)

Who gets hurt by making the tapes 'public domain'

>	1.  EMI.

Why - because they they cannot make money off material they have no intention
of releasing - this not only fails as a logical argument but as a moral one.

>	2.  Kate Bush.
>	    If she doesn't make money, she don't make no music.
Sorry but I don't really think that KT 'makes music for the money' - are you
sure you aren't talking about the Rik_Astley_Abonimations Tape? :^)

>	3.  The zillions of Kate Bush fans everywhere.
Why - because a hundred 'die-hard' fans have tapes of some obscure demos that
they wouldn't normally have access to other than the highly 'shady' bootleg
market.

I also have a question for IED - how is it known that KT does not want this
material released?  I would never try to guess KT's motivations but unless
KT has publicly stated that "I really don't want anyone to have those tapes"
I would tend to say that EMI might have released a statement to the effect
'Kate doesn't want those tapes released' just due to the $$$ concern.  I
highly doubt that Kate has been 'troubled' over the surfacing of these tapes
- I think that we (in this group) are over-reacting to this issue ( as I
"remember" it's been known to happen :^)  )
And as far as 'looking people up' and demanding tapes - yeah right...

will       decwrl!islnds.dec.com!robinson

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/24/89)

Really-From: Lili Velez <lv08+@andrew.cmu.edu>

Off the top of my head, there seems to be a straightforward (although
probably not legitimate...since straightforward solutions rarely are...)
way of coping with the tape-angst people seem to be suffering these
days.  If you don't want to enrich EMI, but you want to pay proper
homage to the artist, send _her_ a check.
Better yet, a sterling draft (American checks take _forever_ to clear
over there, from my recolleKTions...).  True, it may be tacky, but it
might take some of the edge off your concerns.

Lili Fox Velez
lv08@andrew.cmu.edu
Rhetorician-at-large

*************************************

"Now you might feel it should have been
  A voluntary cause,
  But that's not the point, my friends!"

	-- "And the Money Kept Rolling in",
		Act II, scene v, _Evita_

Love-Hounds-request@GAFFA.MIT.EDU (06/30/89)

Really-From: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)

In article <8906262212.AA07522@hop.toad.com> Love-Hounds@GAFFA.MIT.EDU writes:
>Really-From: tim@toad.com (Tim Maroney)
>Quoted-From: mcvax!eutrc3.urc.tue.nl!rcbamw@uunet.UU.NET (m.waucomont)
 [a lot of shit from me - trying to express my feelings in a pretty
  clumsy way - deleted ]
>Absolute nonsense.  [ some other shit deleted ] If someone told you that you
>are supposed to always boot from a floppy, they are a fool who did not
>bother to read the "Macintosh System Software User's Guide" that came
>with the Macintosh.
Worse: _I_ am the 'fool who did not bother to ...', just because I had
made the assumption that Macintoshes are wonderful machines that do not require
one to read lengthy manuals. Must have been a misconception of mine too.. sorry

>Of all the silly things said here recently about copyright, your
>message is the silliest.  No contest.
Sorry for having an opinion and trying to express it. Sorry for choosing
a lousy example to try to make myself clear. Sorry for failing to do so.

>        Oh, if I could only reach those lofty heights.
Well, who stops you from trying?

Scott Lindsey adds to that:
> This really doesn't belong in this group anymore.
He's right.

Words are not just words. They should not be interpreted the way a computer
parses and interprets the source code of a programming language. Please don't
'interpret' people's opinion's (or laws, for that matter) in a mechanical
way (without 'understanding' - you know, reading between the lines -). That's
pretty close to denying that such thing exists.

Michel 'Mikki' Waucomont

PostScript.um: EMI Manhattan's cover of The Kick Inside is MUCH nicer than
               the EMI UK cover.
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS JUST MY FUCKING HUMBLE OPINION. DON'T FLAME ME FOR IT.